Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H4 dependents have no social security number, how to cover the social security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 dependents have no social security number, how to cover the social security?

hi, everyone

I am applying for the visa of H-1B for working in USA, and H4 visa for my wife and child. But I saw the information that H4 holder could not work, and have no social security number. If so, in case my wife and children have any illness, I have to pay fully myself (it is quite expensive!!!), and the medical benefit of my company could not cover them, right? And my child need go to school, and can only go to private school due to no social security number, right?

Your comments are very important because it may impact on my decision about this job offer. I currently reside in Finland, and have a permanent position in an academic institution.

Thank you!

Jobe

H4 status holders cannot work. You should check the medical benefits with your company. To have a decent medical/dental coverage for a family of three without going through the employer's group health coverage, it would cost approximately $1000. So check with your employer to see howmuch you need to pay from your paycheck if they enroll your & your family in their group health coverage.

ITIN number can applied for the dependents. Children can go to public school that comes under your school district.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you for the reply!

So you mean I should check with my employer about the medical benefit coverage. The company medical benefit is possible to cover H4 dependents if the employer agrees, right? The second option is buy private medical/dental coverage personally, which cost $1000 per month or year?

Comment

Employers usually pay a part of Medical coverage for you and your family. You can inquire what your contribution will be.
        In the US social security pays out only after your retire after 65 or so and have worked in the US for 10 years. It does not cover medical care.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend private insurance since the coverage will be very less even after paying a lot of money. Like mentioned below, your employer also should contribute a percentage to your health insurance. Check with them to see how much it will cost to cover your entire family under the group insurance.

Personal insurance will be approximately $1000 per month for a family of three with an okay coverage (provided none of you have any prior medical condition).

Originally posted by Jobe View Post
          So you mean I should check with my employer about the medical benefit coverage. The company medical benefit is possible to cover H4 dependents if the employer agrees, right? The second option is buy private medical/dental coverage personally, which cost $1000 per month or year?
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you all!
            I think there are so many items to confirm with the employer. Could you please give more suggestions about what items I need confirm with the employer before I sign the offer? Maybe green card sponsorship is another one. Please give more lists.

Thank you again!
            Jobe

Comment

The medical insurance presented by the employer can cover the cost of being in hostipal. It seems be so expensive, right??

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X