Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-160 family information

Hello,
    I am currently working in the US on an H1B visa. I am travelling to India in December and am in the process of filling out DS-160 to set up my interview at the Hyderabad Consulate.

I had a question regarding the section dealing with "Family Information"

Currently, both my parents have a green card since 2005. However, their permanent residence is in India and at the time of my intended travel to the US (January 2011), both my parents will be in India. They have been visiting the US frequently for the past 5 years, so their green card is still valid.

In "Family Information" section in DS-160, when providing information about my father and mother, one of the questions that is asked is "Is you father/mother in the U.S.?"
    I am not sure what my answer to the above question should be. Could you please provide some guidance on this matter? Do I put their status as of now or as of the time of the interview or is there some other interpretation to the question?

Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated. Please let me know if you require any more information from me.

Thanks and regards,

Richard Martin

If your parents are maintaining legal permenent resident status in US, you should write LPR or GC in your application. Technically from US perspective, US is the residence and India is trip.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      If your parents are maintaining legal permenent resident status in US, you should write LPR or GC in your application. Technically from US perspective, US is the residence and India is trip.
      Thanks Kabkaba.
      I actually spoke to a representative at the Hyderabad Consulate, and the person I spoke to actually said that I should say 'no' to that question. However, she did not seem very sure of herself and I wasnt convinced. Thats why I decided to post here as well.

So just to confirm, To the quesion "Is your father in the US",I should say "yes" and then when it asks for status, I should say "Legal Permanent Resident". Does that sound right?

Also, do you know if this information could be a cause for any problems? I obviously do not want to provide wrong/misleading information on my DS-160, but I was just wondering if I need to be prepared for any questions that might come up.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi OP,

as far as question is concerned - it is anyone(in your family) is holding any status in US at the time of interview - it doesn;'t matter whether they are physically in US at the time of interview or not

So it should be "YES" (if they are Green Card Holder at the time of Interview)

It should not create any problems as far as your H1 Visa is concerned (provided you have all the required documents for H1)

additonal questions asked - it all depends on Visa officer what he/she can ask regarding your parents GC , few I can think of:
        (a) When did your parents got GC ? (although it is not related to your H1)
        (b) Are they going to apply for you in future (family based GC)

But as mentioned -your parents GC will not impact your H1 processing

Thanks and Regards,
        Abhay

Comment

Thanks for the information, Abhay!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X