Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which consulate should I apply to for H4 visa ? **urgent**

Hi,

I am planning to get married in Dec and go for a H4 visa interview immediately after marriage. I am a resident of Karnataka and my husband is from Maharashtra.

My husband is on H1B and he also needs to go for an H1B visa stamping - hence we were planning to go together - he being the primary applicant.

My question is - when I try to check available interview dates on VFS website and select Karnataka as my state of residence it just shows Chennai - but I would like to go to the Mumbai consulate with my husband. When my husband tries to check the available dates he can see Mumbai as well as Chennai. Can I go to the mumbai consulate for my interview ? and if yes how should i go about taking the date ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

You can go to Mumbai. Use Husband's Maharashtra address as current address in the Visa application.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Hi - thanks a lot for your reply ! If I put my husbands address as my address in DS160 form then does that mean that while making the appointment I can say that I am a resident on Maharshtra ? If the visa officer realizes that my passport has a Karnataka address then will that create any issues ?

Thanks

Comment

The address in the passport doesn't matter so much. If you are residing in Maharastra for the last 6 months, then you need to go to the consulate that falls under that consular district.

Originally posted by ash2010 View Post
        Hi - thanks a lot for your reply ! If I put my husbands address as my address in DS160 form then does that mean that while making the appointment I can say that I am a resident on Maharshtra ? If the visa officer realizes that my passport has a Karnataka address then will that create any issues ?

Thanks
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi OP,

Just want to mention that it is standard rule that if you are staying at some address for last 6 months then you have to go to the Consulate which falls under that region.

But in your case - As you are going with your Husband just after marriage for H4.
          You can go to MUMBAI consulate even you were not staying in Maharashtra for the last 6 months ( I am assuming that your Husband was staying in Maharashtra for sometime )
          Because you are going together for H1 and H4 -and your husband's appointment falls under Maharashtra region - then you both can go to Mumbai and your Passport address /or your last address (before marriage) will not cause any issues.

thanks and regards,
          Abhay

Comment

Thanks a lot for your response. This was really very helpful.

Cheers

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X