H1b visa stamp - 212(a)(9)b2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b visa stamp - 212(a)(9)b2

Hi, I had an H1B Visa Stamping interview at Mumbai Consulate. I was initially on L1B visa which expired in Feb 2021. My firm got my H1B petition and got my change of status approved in Oct 2020. I have a 797A document with i94 stating my validity till Oct 2023. However the consulate officer claimed I illegally overstayed on my visa and worked illegally over a year and handed me 212(a)(9)b2 and state i have a 10 year ban in the country. Was this correct and how can it be overturned?

There is no ban for working illegally. The 9B ban is for unlawful presence. The 10-year ban is if you accrued more than 1 year of unlawful presence and then left the US. Unlawful presence is mainly determined by the date on the I-94. Since you had I-94s covering your entire stay, you couldn't have accrued any unlawful presence. So saying that you have this ban is clearly wrong. But I am not sure what you can do.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Yes my i94 covered the entire stay so i am not sure on what basis did Consular officer determined my unlawful presence.
      Do you think taking a new DS-160 appointment will help? Or is there any other way to explain this to US Embassy?

Comment

Does anyone have any other recommendation? Can an attorney help to remove the 212(a)(9)(b)2 since it was an error made by embassy.
        Can i qualify for a waiver?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X