Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appointment Question

Hello

I am looking to book visa appointment for Mumbai.

There are two ways to look for available appointments on VFS website.
    1. Anonymously without entering any personal data
    2. Entering personal data and schedule it by going through the entire process of entering passport no., confirmation no. etc.

I have been checking the dates using anonymous system regularly and it never has any available for Mumbai.

1. Do we get any different appointment schedule after we enter our details?
    2. Should I even make an attempt to enter all this information and see if any appointments are available?

I do see that Chennai and Kolkata has appointments available but I need it in Mumbai.

Thanks

I am seeing the same thing for last couple of days. Dates must be full. I am looking for a appointment in early december, but Mumbai calendar does not show up..

Comment

Appointment through VFS

I have the same problem. Trying to make an appointment in the Chennai consulate, but the next screen shows me the dates in Kolkata? To me this seems like a problem with the Website, rather than an unavailability of dates. Even after I select Chennai as my interview post, Kolkata shows in the final screen. I am left with either taking a chance to book the date with the wrong consulate shown on the last screen or just cancel the whole process. I spent all the time entering the information only to find out that the consulate information on the last screen is wrong (I.e, showing Kolkata when I selected Chennai).

In the earliest appointment available screen, I tried different consulates (For example, Mumbai), the next screen shows different consulates available (Chennai and Kolkata)?

Comment

Re: Appointment through VFS

Yes, I am in the same situation. I am looking for booking an appointment date for the end of Nov 2010, and my visa has expired 12 months back (so I will have to select "No" for visa renewal").

But when I go to the vfs website and check for chennai dates, it keeps showing me the calendar for Kolkata.

This is plain irresponsible and wrong on the part of vfs. If someone is asking for chennai dates, they are obligated to show the status of chennai dates and its availability etc. Showing Kolkata makes NO sense and is very mis-leading and confusing.

I have sent an email to the chennai consulate at [email protected] asking for a clarification and requesting to get this fixed. Unfortunately trying to contact them by phone is not possible until Monday (Nov 8th 2010), due to the Diwali holiday and the weekend.

Please send them an email complaining about this and asking to get this fixed. That is the best we could do until Monday when we could call the helpline at +91 120—6611411

Please keep this thread updated with what you find. Thanks!

Comment

Still no luck

Contacted VFS Helpline just now (IST 10:00 AM). The person at the helpdesk did not have a concrete answer. He said the reason it shows up Kolkata when I select Chennai is either 1)Chennai dates are full 2)Chennai dates are not yet open. He told me that it all depends on the Consular Officers and when they open the dates. He said keep checking the website until you see the Chennai calendar come up.

No point in complaining about this illogical system. Hopefully, the Calendar opens up soon.

Comment

Re: Dates at Chennai consulate

I called and talked to vfs customer service as well as the Chennai Consulate itself directly.

VFS representative tells that the dates are completely under the control of the Chennai Consulate and they don't control it. He says that he has no idea why the US consulate isn't releasing dates for Chennai or its availability. All he says is that if you want go ahead and make the booking at another available consulate that shows up when you search for Chennai.

I didn't get a useful response from the Chennai Consulate when I contacted them directly. They seem to hint that the dates are already taken for Nov 2010 and they might post the dates again in a week or so. But their response was half baked and wasn't convincing.

In any case, I don't believe that they would have run out of appointment slots at Chennai, whereas dates continue to be available at the other consulates. This sounds totally unbelievable and something is fishy. I have been checking since last week and haven't been able to find a date at the Chennai consulate for Nov. Even if dates were available to begin with, it would be odd that they would have been scooped up so quickly. This is not credible.

Well, I don't have a choice but to keep checking every day to see if Chennai shows up. I sure don't want to go to any other Consulate.

Comment

Originally posted by calcoolram View Post
              Contacted VFS Helpline just now (IST 10:00 AM). The person at the helpdesk did not have a concrete answer. He said the reason it shows up Kolkata when I select Chennai is either 1)Chennai dates are full 2)Chennai dates are not yet open. He told me that it all depends on the Consular Officers and when they open the dates. He said keep checking the website until you see the Chennai calendar come up.

No point in complaining about this illogical system. Hopefully, the Calendar opens up soon.
              Completely agree about the system being so illogical. I also contacted VFS (and also Chennai consulate directly) - same results (see my other post).

The explanation given by both VFS and the Chennai Consulate itself are neither credible, nor seem to be sincere. Something sounds fishy to me at the best. This is so frustrating.

But unfortunately we are at the receiving end and totally at their mercy and there isn't much we could do to rectify the situation. Patience would definitely be a virtue here!

P.S. It is a real pain to keep checking for the dates again and again. What an incredibly inefficient system it is at this age of the internet. There should be a way for us to subscribe to their site and them notifying anyone who would be interested to hear dates opening up. More than that the way the search is designed is so poor - it keeps reloading at every one of your choice selection. This is really a lousy design that sucks.
              Last edited by latbsol; 11-08-2010, 01:34 AM. Reason: correcting typo

Comment

What a mess

Originally posted by latbsol View Post
                I called and talked to vfs customer service as well as the Chennai Consulate itself directly.

VFS representative tells that the dates are completely under the control of the Chennai Consulate and they don't control it. He says that he has no idea why the US consulate isn't releasing dates for Chennai or its availability. All he says is that if you want go ahead and make the booking at another available consulate that shows up when you search for Chennai.

I didn't get a useful response from the Chennai Consulate when I contacted them directly. They seem to hint that the dates are already taken for Nov 2010 and they might post the dates again in a week or so. But their response was half baked and wasn't convincing.

In any case, I don't believe that they would have run out of appointment slots at Chennai, whereas dates continue to be available at the other consulates. This sounds totally unbelievable and something is fishy. I have been checking since last week and haven't been able to find a date at the Chennai consulate for Nov. Even if dates were available to begin with, it would be odd that they would have been scooped up so quickly. This is not credible.

Well, I don't have a choice but to keep checking every day to see if Chennai shows up. I sure don't want to go to any other Consulate.
                Here is what I sent to the VFS office in Chennai

Dear VFS Officer

I am trying to make an appointment for interview at the Chennai Post for H1B . However, even after I select all the appropriate fields, the calendar shows the dates available for Kolkata. Please let me know how I can make an appointment for Chennai. Are appointments available for Chennai Consulate between November 24th to November 30th.

Thanks

Here is the reply

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing us.

Kindly note in case you are able to see the dates of U.S Consulate Kolkata by selecting the state of residence as Tamil Nadu or any other state coming under jurisdiction of U.S Embassy New Delhi, you may schedule the interview date with U.S Consulate Kolkata and appear for the interview there.
                Further, the allocation of interview appointments on VFS website is the sole discretion of the Embassy/Consulate. VFS is neither involved nor responsible in any manner whatsoever for allocating appointment seats.

The Consulate regularly reviews and allocates seats for different visa categories & specific languages (language to be selected by the applicant for the interview), based on the requirement and availability of resources. If at any point of time you are not able to view a seat allocation as required, you may exit the website. You are requested to check the website for the earliest available date and then reenter your data to schedule your appointment at a date more suitable to you.

It is advisable to select the language in which you would like to get interviewed as the applicants choosing a local language for appointment can expect their interviews to be conducted in that particular language as selected at the time of scheduling their interview appointment.

So what they are saying is book your appointment in Kolkata!!!! Doesnt make sense. I dont think anybody knows what the hell is going on in VFS.

Comment

Re: Yeah, this is ridiculous, but what could we do...

So what they are saying is book your appointment in Kolkata!!!! Doesnt make sense. I dont think anybody knows what the hell is going on in VFS.
                  Thanks for posting your reply. Yes, it seems like all hell has broken lose at the Chennai Consulate and they want us to go to Kolkata. Their take on this is that "Going to Kolkata to get the visa is better than not being able to appear at any US consulate to get the visa". So they are saying that "something is better than nothing".

May be we have to take Kolkata or lose it also.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it is a fact we have to live with, unfortunately

Comment

Dates finally available at Chennai Consulate!!!

Here is the reply I received directly from the Chennai consulate people itself:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your inquiry. Please be informed that the appointment dates are opened only 2/3 weeks in advance and currently dates upto 26th November 2010 have been opened for Chennai. You may continue monitoring the website if you desire to have an appointment with Chennai Consulate. You are also welcome to schedule your appointment with the other Consulates in India.

Thank you also for your suggestions.

Thanks
                    Sincerely

Visa Information Unit
                    American Consulate General
                    Chennai 600006, India
                    Telephone: 91 44 2857 4242
                    Fax: 91 44 2811 2027
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the Chennai dates and sure as they have mentioned, I was able to see Chennai's calendar showing up finally!! What a big relief this was. But unfortunately onlyu 22nd and 23rd Nov 2010 are showing up in green right now. However I am looking for Nov end to book. Hope they will open up those slots soon (and that they haven't already been used up).

There is relief - yes!!! Finally!

Hope this helps. Please do post if you were able to book the dates you need at Chennai.

Comment

Still No Luck

Latbsol

When did you see Chennai Calendar open, I still dont see it open.

Thanks

Comment

Re: I saw Chennai calendar around 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. Chicago time

Latbsol

When did you see Chennai Calendar open, I still dont see it open.

Thanks
                        I saw Chennai calendar around 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. Chicago time on Tue, Nov 9th 2010. They showed dates for Nov 22nd, 23rd and even 24th little bit later. I am not sure if you checked during that time. But I guess they might have changed it yet again. But keep checking back and I think there is hope!

One rumor (yes, it is just a rumor) that I got was that due to Obma's visit to India (which is already finished), they would have asked all Chennai Consulate people to go to Mumbai or keep Chennai as a backup (or whatever), just to be on the safer side. So that is why they might not have shown Chennai for the last few days.

I will keep checking back, since there is no other choice.

Good luck.

Comment

Still no luck

Interesting.

My visa expired more than 12 months ago, so I have to click on the "No" option. If I click on Yes, I do see Chennai but then I cant do that. The other trick I was trying is changing the language of the interview. I tried Tamil, just to test the system, although I prefer talking to a Consular Officer in English. Vola, the Chennai Calendar was all of a sudden wide open, no more Kolkata . But then I thought would the Consular officer give me a strange look for being in the US for 10 years and requesting an interview in Tamil. So I am still waiting for the calendar to open by putting all the right information in.

Comment

I am in the same boat..I saw the Chennai calendar with 22nd and 23rd open at 2:00 AM CST (had to set an alarm on my cell phone and get up)...

Hoping to see 29th open up soon...

Comment

Interesting.

My visa expired more than 12 months ago, so I have to click on the "No" option. If I click on Yes, I do see Chennai but then I cant do that. The other trick I was trying is changing the language of the interview. I tried Tamil, just to test the system, although I prefer talking to a Consular Officer in English. Vola, the Chennai Calendar was all of a sudden wide open, no more Kolkata . But then I thought would the Consular officer give me a strange look for being in the US for 10 years and requesting an interview in Tamil. So I am still waiting for the calendar to open by putting all the right information in.
                              Good you tried all permutations and combinations, though unfortunately that doesn't help us much. But that is a good experiment to at least see if Chennai is completely closed or if they are accepting applicants in some category or other.

In simple words what we are going through right now is a suffering (of course it is nothing when compared what you have to go through to get the Green Card) and it is like a punishment that we have to keep checking again and again the VFS website, everytime with the curiosity to see if dates show up in Chennai. This is a very silly system that is proving its immaturity.

One thing you might (or might not) have noticed is that the consulate allows "Emergency" based appointments even for H1B visa holders (can't find the link at this time) as you could read at But given that there are appointment slots open in other Consulates, I don't know if Chennai would qualify for that category.

If only they could understand what we are going through...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X