Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in Interview Location

Hi!

I have filed H1B petition through a consultant 2 months back (13th Sep) which is still in "Initial Review" status when I checked online. At the time I was filling the application I was in Delhi, India so filled that location in the form. But, one month back (on Oct 13th) I have relocated to Singapore on Employment Pass (which is valid for 1 year) as I have changed my employer.

My query is: Can I change my H1B Visa interview location from New Delhi to Singapore?

Please advice. Thanks.

Regards,
    Rahul Gupta

First time H1B stamping should be from the home country. Otherwise it is difficult for the consulate to verify your academic certificates.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Change in Interview Location when moved to another country - is that possible?

Thanks for the response. But, I don't want to change the location just for the sake of it, as I am on the long term assignment in Singapore. Additionally, just for interview going back to India..and then there could be a case sometimes when consulate can keep your passport with them for more than a week. ( For example, one of my friend got a pink slip in the month of October and he still not received his passport yet). I simply can't afford this as it won't be possible to get leave from the current employer for more than week. Wouldn't it be a valid case for change in location, provided USCIS does this? Kindly suggest.

Comment

Well, you can take your chance in the U.S consulate in Singapore. But there are chances that they could ask you to go back to your home country for stamping as they won't be able to validate your your academic certificates. Also, sometimes they may ask you to show 6 months of address proof to see if you fall under that consular district.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

The above advice is good. There is no guarantee that there will be no 221g in Singapore consulate.
          Consulate name on the petition is of no important matter for Visa application. Singapore consulate can verify petition information in their system.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response Shervin and Kabkaba.

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
            The above advice is good. There is no guarantee that there will be no 221g in Singapore consulate.
            Consulate name on the petition is of no important matter for Visa application. Singapore consulate can verify petition information in their system.
            Reason is for changing the location is not something that I am concerned about 221g, because refusal can happen anywhere... irrespective of the interview location.

But, what I am curious to know is: (1) if it's permissible to change the location after filing petition? From the above response, I understand - YES, it's possible and also Singapore consulate wouldn't have any issue for verifying the petition and my education etc. Now, if I am correct so (2) would my case be a valid case for such request?

Reasons for seeking the change location is:
            I am working in Singapore on one year contract on Employment Pass and in case I go to India for my visa interview in a month or two and they kept my passport for long time let say 2-3 weeks, either it case of refusal or for further verification. I will not able to come back to Singapore until USCIS returns it. For what I am actually worried about.

Kindly advice. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Yes, your understanding is correct.
              This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks a lot Kabkaba.

Comment

Change in Interview Location

Hi Rahul,

Any update ?? Even i am thinking same, i am in Singapore and my h1b given to chennai consulate. Can you please let me know what you have decided.

Comment

Originally posted by gsree View Post
                    Hi Rahul,

Any update ?? Even i am thinking same, i am in Singapore and my h1b given to chennai consulate. Can you please let me know what you have decided.
                    Hi Gsree,

I talk to consultant to xfer it to Singapore, but they are saying that they have already discussed with USCIS, which asked them to not xfer. I am not sure, if employer is telling truth or not.

How you are planning?

- Rahul

Comment

@Rahul

I think you should be OK to collect your passport and travel back to singapore just incase if you get into 221g quagmire! I have seen many H1B applicants (221g cases) who requested their passports back and travelled to other countries! You can opt for that option. Sometimes US consulate may ask your passports for furture process you can drop it at any VFS drop box (It could be India or singaore). Since you working in Singapore you can drop your PPs there. Think about it bro...!

Bottom line: Do what your heart says! Don't make mistakes!

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Hi Rahul,

Did you findout from Singapore consulate, i send them email about this. They replied saying, since i am on employeement visa i can attend in Singapore. Only worry i am seeing Chennai on some of my documents.

So what did you decide.

I sent you private message, can you check and reply.

Regards,
                        Sree
                        Last edited by gsree; 01-26-2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Rahul....

I went for h1b visa interview today in Singapore US consulate. They approved my visa, in two days i will get my passport. So you can fix appointment in Singapore if you have finished 6months stay in Singapore.

All the best....

-Sreedhar

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X