Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Passport and HDFC receipt

Hi All,

Case A: I have a renewed Indian passport. The H1B visa is stamped on the old passport. I subsequent applied and got a new passport(extended) and H1B extension. Going to India for re-stamping. In the HDFC receipt should i enter the current passport number or the old passport number where the original H1B visa was stamped. My guess is the current passport number but want to confirm

Case B: My wife's Indian passport is going to expire in Nov 2011 and she is going for H4 to H1B COS stamping in India in Dec 2010. Just want to know the required vlidaity duration on the Indian passport

Thanks in advance
    M

Case A: I have a renewed Indian passport. The H1B visa is stamped on the old passport. I subsequent applied and got a new passport(extended) and H1B extension. Going to India for re-stamping. In the HDFC receipt should i enter the current passport number or the old passport number where the original H1B visa was stamped. My guess is the current passport number but want to confirm
    >>> New passport number. That is where your visa will be stamped.

Case B: My wife's Indian passport is going to expire in Nov 2011 and she is going for H4 to H1B COS stamping in India in Dec 2010. Just want to know the required vlidaity duration on the Indian passport
    >>> She can go for stamping as long as her indian passport is valid. However, the VO might issue her a visa that is valid only till the passport expiry date, even if the H1B petition is valid for a duration longer than that. However, the consulate would know that the Indian passport can be renewed only 1 year in advance.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick response Shervin143

So in my wife's case if the VO issues for one year only, what is the advised course of action

Comment

Well, she can enter U.S until the visa is valid. Later when that visa expires, she will need to get it stamped again using the same petition (assuming the petition is still valid). Visa is just an entry documents to U.S. If the I-94 is issued until the petition expiry date, then she can stay and continue to work until the expiry date of the I-94. If the I-94 is issued only till the passport expiry date, then she will need to file the extension of status before that I-94 expires or leave the country and return back with the renewed passport and a valid H1B visa which will get her a new I-94 that is valid until the petition expiry date.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X