Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change - Too Long Last Name

Hi,

I hold a L1 visa (Indian passport) and presently in the US. Can someone please help me with the below queries, given the following details.

Given Name as in Passport (and Visa): RANJITH KUMAR
    Last Name as in Passport (and Visa): PAGDALAPALEPU KAKULAVARAM

Due to limitation of characters in the SSN System, my last name in SSN has been truncated and it now appears as:

First Name: RANJITH KUMAR
    Last Name: PAGDALAPALEPU KAKULA (observe the truncation here)

Subsequently, when I went to the DMV for Driver's Licence, they denied my application stating that my Passport name and SSN name do not match. Is it fair to bear the blunt myself without any fault on my side? Is SSN character restriction my fault? Pls note that US consulate could accomodate my full name with ease. Then how come SSN system couldn't? Anyways, it would really be of great help if someone can throw some light on the below queries.

Queries:
    1. Is anybody else on the same boat? Can someone please suggest any workaround like affidavits, notary, etc (if any) for DMV's acceptance. I need a driver's license desperately, serious reasons.

2. If there is no other choice, I would like to go for a name change. I plan to get rid of my last name in total, and split my Given name. Ultimately, this is what I want my new name as:

FIRST NAME: RANJITH
    LAST NAME: KUMAR

3. I understand the procedure for the name change through the Indian Consulate in NY. I learnt that I would be receiving a new passport after the fulfilment of their requirements viz 2 newspaper ads, application, fees, etc. Their site is however silent on the Visa consequences. I assume, therefore, that whenever I travel to/from India, I would have to carry my old passport (which has the L1 Visa stamp) and the new passport (with updated name). Can someone correct me if I am missing something?

a
    Last edited by pradeepcl; 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranjee4uall View Post
      Hi,

I hold a L1 visa (Indian passport) and presently in the US. Can someone please help me with the below queries, given the following details.

Given Name as in Passport (and Visa): RANJITH KUMAR
      Last Name as in Passport (and Visa): PAGDALAPALEPU KAKULAVARAM

Due to limitation of characters in the SSN System, my last name in SSN has been truncated and it now appears as:

First Name: RANJITH KUMAR
      Last Name: PAGDALAPALEPU KAKULA (observe the truncation here)

Subsequently, when I went to the DMV for Driver's Licence, they denied my application stating that my Passport name and SSN name do not match. Is it fair to bear the blunt myself without any fault on my side? Is SSN character restriction my fault? Pls note that US consulate could accomodate my full name with ease. Then how come SSN system couldn't? Anyways, it would really be of great help if someone can throw some light on the below queries.

Queries:
      1. Is anybody else on the same boat? Can someone please suggest any workaround like affidavits, notary, etc (if any) for DMV's acceptance. I need a driver's license desperately, serious reasons.

2. If there is no other choice, I would like to go for a name change. I plan to get rid of my last name in total, and split my Given name. Ultimately, this is what I want my new name as:

FIRST NAME: RANJITH
      LAST NAME: KUMAR

3. I understand the procedure for the name change through the Indian Consulate in NY. I learnt that I would be receiving a new passport after the fulfilment of their requirements viz 2 newspaper ads, application, fees, etc. Their site is however silent on the Visa consequences. I assume, therefore, that whenever I travel to/from India, I would have to carry my old passport (which has the L1 Visa stamp) and the new passport (with updated name). Can someone correct me if I am missing something?

Hi,
      Iam in same problem in how many days you got SSN .

Regards,
      Keerthi.p

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X