How to get name updated at uscis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get name updated at uscis

My passport only had my first name(John). At the last renewal I added my last name(John Doe) to it.

However when I went to get it updated in SSN, they said first update USCIS. However I don't see any information about this on their website. I tried calling as well but couldn't get past the bot.

Does anyone has any idea how to get it updated?

Thanks.

Hey John,

It sounds like you need to update your USCIS records before the Social Security Administration (SSA) can update your SSN card. While the USCIS website might not explicitly mention this need, it's likely because they want to verify your legal name change before updating other government documents.

Here's what you can do:

1. Online Application: Check the USCIS website again, searching for "name change" or "legal name correction." They might have an online application available.

2. Form N-485: If you can't find an online option, download and submit Form N-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Ensure you select the option for "Name Change" and follow the instructions carefully.

3. Contact USCIS: If you're still stuck, try calling them again. Explain your situation clearly and ask for guidance on the specific steps for updating your name with them.

Once you've updated your name with USCIS, you can then visit your local Social
    koows Security office or apply online to update your SSN card with your full name. They'll likely require proof of your legal name change, such as your updated passport or USCIS documentation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X