Visa Expired but I have valid I-94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Expired but I have valid I-94

Can person stay and work in US if his/her Visa has expired but has Valid I-94?

Yes. Visa is only an entry document to U.S.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

It really depends on the status the person is maintaining in the US.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

A quick question:

Say a visa has been expired in April 2010 and the original I-94 was till April 2010. Now that H1B is approved until 2012 so is the I-94 on petition till 2012.

So when going to India, should we hand the original I-94 of April 2010 and cut the original I-94 from petition and hand it over at the airport?

Act on the information provided at your own risk.!

Comment

The length of your stay is determined by your current I94, not the visa. If you receive a renewal notice, that generally comes with a new I94. As long as your are in the country, that is your new I94. You can discard the one you got when you entered the country. When you leave, you hand back the current I94, which is the one you received along with your renewal.

Comment

so the bottom of the renewal notice has 2 section, which one should be handed.. the bottom left or right?

Act on the information provided at your own risk.!

Comment

This information is totally wrong. You need to return all the I-94 that you have. You cannot discard an I-94 that was issued to you just because you got a new from a renewal or transfer or change of status.

Originally posted by kkinusa View Post
              You can discard the one you got when you entered the country. When you leave, you hand back the current I94, which is the one you received along with your renewal.

Comment

The one that has the I-94. Just cut that from the approval notice and attach it to your old I-94 in the passport. This instruction will be clearly mentioned in the approval notice.

Originally posted by imish View Post
                so the bottom of the renewal notice has 2 section, which one should be handed.. the bottom left or right?

Comment

Originally posted by kkinusa View Post
                  You can discard the one you got when you entered the country. When you leave, you hand back the current I94, which is the one you received along with your renewal.
                  Not right. Never ever discard the white I-94 obtained at POE. That is very important to prove legal entry inside US at any given time.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X