Extension of H1B status based on emp lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension of H1B status based on emp lawsuit

My employer dismissed me and terminated my visa immediately (They have already informed USCIS). I believe the dismissal was unfair.

My question is: If I file a lawsuit against my employer, does that automatically allow me to stay in US till the lawsuit is resolved?

No. The employer can terminate you anytime for any reason. H1B is an employer's petition. You should either join a new employer immediately and file the transfer or you should leave the country. You cannot maintain the H1B status just beacuse a lawsuit is filed.

You can also consult a good immigration attorney.
    Last edited by shervin143; 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

To add to the above, the employer is responsible for your one-way ticket to home country.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

You have to maintain your own status unless the dismissal was in retaliation to a DOL complaint which is when DOL can reinstate your status if it rules in your favor.

However, file for a COS to B1/B2 to maintain authorized stay in case you want to fight them.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X