H1B- Univ. not letting me take courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B- Univ. not letting me take courses

I am in a weird situation. I am an H1B Visa holder. At present my visa is under renewal process by USCIS.

I wanted to study full time. Before I had applied for H1B renewal, I wanted to do COS to F1. I did not receive my I20 on time as well as I got a job offer to continue working. So at the end moment I ended up filing for renewal.

After filing for renewal I got my I20 on the basis of which I went ahead and joined the university. Now, when the second semester I tried to apply for some courses, I found out that they have blocked me to do so. As per them, I got admission based on my I20 which says that I have to be on F1 Visa to continue. My problem is that my H1B visa is still under renewal and I cannot go ahead and file for second time for F1 visa at this time. I do not want to loose my admission with the university. It will waste my entire time and hard work I spent on my studies.

What I am supposed to do? or say to University so that I can continue my studies. Please help.

Not clear if the COS to F1 was approved or not from your post.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

H1B- Univ. not letting me take courses

Thanks for the reply.

No, I did not even get to file for F1 atall.

I paid the sevis fees since my intention was to go for F1. But my I20 had not come and my H1B visa was going to end (9/30), so I applied for renewal on (9/20). I received my I20 on 9/24, and I went to university and got myself enrolled on the same day.

I did not go for student visa atall, but on the basis of I20 got the admission. They did not have any problem with it since I had all my papers ready, including my old H1, they gave me admission the same day.

But, now the second sem. is going to start, and till now my H1B renewal process is not done. The only thing I am having is the receipt to show that my H1B renewal is under process.

Int. advisor was telling me that I got an admission under F1 visa. I was trying to tell them that when I took admission, I was in H1B status, and I am still under the same as the renewal paper has not yet come.

My query is what I am suppose to do to keep my admission continued.
      Last edited by prabsakka1; 01-12-2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I-20 and Sevis..... k you are treated as international student...so they are looking for F1 status.

Check with university advisor...if you can continue as domestic student... basically not full time..

Just an advice....talk with them...before making any conclusion..

Comment

you should be able to study on H1b by not converting to F1 - does not make sense

And yes you should consider yourself as a local in state person rather than international student

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X