Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can H1B visa holder work for US company from Canada

Hello All,

My husband is currently getting a 6 month assignment in canada.
    I am currently employed by an american company and on H1B with them.

Will I be able to work for the same company from Canada?
    Is it allowed?

Also, will my visa status be maintained if I stay and work from canada?

My W2, taxes etc will be cut in USA since I am employed in USA?

Please help. Hubby to start from coming Monday.

Thank You.

The country that you reside in makes the rules. If you want to work from Canada, you possibly need a Canadian work permit.

This is similar to a H4 visa holder in US but wanting to work for an Indian company offshore. It is not allowed in US as working in any form is illegal on H4.

Apply the similar logic and the answer would boil down to what is allowed by the Canadian govt.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Sir.

So, if I have a canadian work permit, I can still work for my american company in USA. Yes?
      There wont be any legal issue with my w2 being generated and me being paid US salary?
      Will my H1B status still be valid?

Thank You again.

Comment

H1b validity is controlled by employer. If you work from Canada and get paid in USD, you need to talk to a CPA about taxation issues depending on treaty between these two countries.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

You will hold no status when you are outside U.S. You don't need a valid H1B or any other work visa/petition to work outside U.S.

Originally posted by shriyakish View Post
          Will my H1B status still be valid?
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X