X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 365 gap between L1 to H1

My Employment summary:
    I was in US on below Visa status
    L1 : JAN 2008 - MAY 2010 (my L1 was valid till DEC 2010 but i returned to india on MAY)
    B1 : AUG 2010 - OCT 2010

Now My H1 got approved and it is valid from OCT 2010 - SEP 2013.

I am currently in India and planning to go on H1.My question here is

1. Can I apply for a H1 extension after SEP 2013 because I heard that there should be 365 days after 6 years working in US. Here there is a 365 days gap between my L1 and new H1 but I entered US on B1 in between. will this B1 stay count under 365 days Gap.

I appreciate your help. Please let me know if I am not clear.

Thanks
    Satish

Only the time you spend in the US in H1 or L1 status counts against 6 years. Now do your math.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

I think i got my answer but for more clarity I would like to repharse my question.

I stayed in US for almost 2.5 years on L1 status.
      L1 : JAN 2008 - MAY 2010 (my L1 was valid till DEC 2010 but i returned to india on MAY).

Now I have got H1 (OCT 2010 - SEP 2013) and planning to go to US soon.

My question is that can I stay 6 years (assuming that i will get an H1extension) on my new H1 since I am out of US for 365 days between my Last L1 and this H1.Of course I went to US on B1 inbetween but I assume that doesnt count.

Comment

You will get fresh 6 years only if the petition was filed as that. This becomes a grey area on how USCIS interprets it. You at least have 3.5 years according to this math anyway.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response. This is very useful information indeed. I will check with my employer for more details.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X