Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting job to tour Central America and coming back to pack up and leave

Hi

I am currently on H1 and my wife on H4 visa. I am an Indian citizen and planing on quitting my job in January 2012. After which we want to leave US immediately and tour Central America for a month and return back to Boston to pack up and leave.

I do not mind applying for any (Tourist or interim) kind of Visa, but just want to make sure that it is possible and can be done.

If I can't enter U.S.A I am not sure what I can do. Probably get a Canadian tourist Visa and use that as a point where I can store my stuff somewhere and then travel to India from Canada.

I would say apply for a B1/B2 visa while you are already on H1b and working. That will make it possible to go forward with your plan. You are allowed to have a combination of B1/B2 and H1 visas at the same time on the passport.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

So I apply for a tourist visa when I am still in the U.S.A? Where do I get it stamped, can I get it stamped in Central America or will I have to apply from and stamp it my home country?

Thanks..

Comment

You can apply in Canada or any country outside the US that can process visas for Third Country nationals..

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Tell me if I am right,

- In say October 2011 I travel to Canada and apply for a tourist visa
          - I get the tourist, but they might cancel my H1B visa without prejudice. I can request the officer not to cancel my H1B visa
          - Enter the United States in one of the visas (if they do not cancel my H1B visa), otherwise enter with tourist visa
          - Since my H1 status still valid, I can work till January 2012. Travel to Central America and enter United States again in February 2012 with my tourist visa.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Unless you enter U.S in H1B visa, you won't be in H1B status and so you cannot work if you enter in B1/B2.

Originally posted by suman_31 View Post
            Tell me if I am right,

- I get the tourist, but they might cancel my H1B visa without prejudice. I can request the officer not to cancel my H1B visa
            - Enter the United States in one of the visas (if they do not cancel my H1B visa), otherwise enter with tourist visa
            - Since my H1 status still valid, I can work till January 2012. Travel to Central America and enter United States again in February 2012 with my tourist visa.

Does that make sense?
            Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by suman_31 View Post
              Tell me if I am right,

Does that make sense?
              You need to explain to the VO during your interview that you plan on using the H1b visa to work for a while and then use the B1/B2 visa for travel to South America and return. Be clear on what you want to do, your itinerary etc. The VOs have the authority to not cancel the H1b as dual visa is allowed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X