Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to change the H4 status

Hi everybody,

Iam H4 visa, actually last year I applied for an H1 and it got approved. Later after one month of my H1 approval, due to some unexpected reasons I have to go to India, I went to India on my H4 visa and came back on the same,,unknowingly I believe my status had changed from H1 to H4... Now what should I do to get back to my H1 status? Is H1 stamping is the only option I have? I can go for stamping no problem for me.. but it is okay to get stamped in Canada??

As long as you have valid H1 visa, you can start working on H1 visa.

Don't need stamping until you have to go out of US. Next time you go out, get H1 stamping done.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

but I left US after my H1 approval, and came back to US on my H4 visa. that does make a change in status to H4?

Comment

how to change my H4 to working

hello.Im very new in USA and wanting to work.what are the steps to change my H4 to a working visa?Thanks so much.

Comment

As the Admin said, you have a valid I797 stating that you have an H1; the visa is used to enter and exit the country while the I797 says whether you can work or not.

Ideally, you should visit the US Consulate in Canada/ Mexico and get the H1B stamped in your passport. There is nothing wrong if you start working in the meantime.

Regards

Comment

I'm expecting a similar situation.....

Can you suggest if the following situation doesn't require stamping to work.
            1.Filed H1B while staying in India
            2.Then enters US with H4 visa
            3.Gets H1B approval notice (I797)

If H1B doesn't require a stamping in the above situation, it means having two visas at the sametime, is that valid?

I checked with the employer about this and they said the application (for H1B) itself is different if a person is in US at the time of H1B application and when they are not in US, so I presume (I'm not sure) the above situation does require stamping for H1B to work.
            Pls suggest.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X