Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 for working spouse leaves requirement

Hi All...

Reading this forum from few days.. I want to apply L2 for my husband and he is working for some other company. What is the minimum tenure of leaves required for him to apply for his L2 visa. Please answer if any of you has gone thru the same process.
    Last edited by kj1; 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM. Reason: L1 category

Not sure what you are exactly trying to ask. The only way a L2 status holder can work in U.S is by getting an EAD approved. The person should be in valid L2 status in U.S to apply for the EAD. The person should remain in U.S until the EAD gets approved. It will take 2 -3 months to get the EAD approved.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      Not sure what you are exactly trying to ask. The only way a L2 status holder can work in U.S is by getting an EAD approved. The person should be in valid L2 status in U.S to apply for the EAD. The person should remain in U.S until the EAD gets approved. It will take 2 -3 months to get the EAD approved.

Thanks for your help .. I will clarify things here...
      Actually I am on L1 visa and want to bring my spouse on L2 visa. He is working in some other company in India. So will be applying leave for that tenure. The question is what is the minimum tenure of leave which he should apply for L2 visa?

Comment

It doesn't really matter whether you bring your spouse to U.S on a leave of absence or after quitting the job. That is something that your spouse need to work it out with the current employer in India.

But, like I mentioned in my previous reply, the person should be in valid L2 status in U.S to apply for the L2 EAD (Should have entered U.S in L2 visa and should have a valid I-94). The person should remain in U.S until the EAD gets approved. It takes anywhere between 2-3 months to get the EAD approved. So if your spouse is going to apply for a leave of absence, then it has to be for at least 3 months.

Originally posted by kj1 View Post
        Thanks for your help .. I will clarify things here...
        Actually I am on L1 visa and want to bring my spouse on L2 visa. He is working in some other company in India. So will be applying leave for that tenure. The question is what is the minimum tenure of leave which he should apply for L2 visa?

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
          It doesn't really matter whether you bring your spouse to U.S on a leave of absence or after quitting the job. That is something that your spouse need to work it out with the current employer in India.

But, like I mentioned in my previous reply, the person should be in valid L2 status in U.S to apply for the L2 EAD (Should have entered U.S in L2 visa and should have a valid I-94). The person should remain in U.S until the EAD gets approved. It takes anywhere between 2-3 months to get the EAD approved. So if your spouse is going to apply for a leave of absence, then it has to be for at least 3 months.

Thanks for your reply....
          Actually he will be joining his company back after the leave period...He is not gonna work here.. Thats why the leave tenure is a question.....

Comment

I am not sure why he has to apply and get an EAD in that case. Well, leave tenure has nothing to do with EAD or L2. But he need to be prepared to stay in U.S for at least a duration of 3 months (from the date of applying) to get the EAD.

Originally posted by kj1 View Post
            Thanks for your reply....
            Actually he will be joining his company back after the leave period...He is not gonna work here.. Thats why the leave tenure is a question.....

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X