Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B - Query for filling up DS 160 form

Hi,

I am going to be teaching at a university in NY state, and have already received an I-797B from the USCIS. I will be starting to teach there in August and have already signed a contract with the university.

I still need to complete the DS 160 form in order to procure the H1B visa. In the DS 160 form, under present occupation, what should I write? I did just return from a 6month long vacation to the US (on a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa). So the best answer I can give is 'self employed' but I will not have any tax returns to show of the last 6 months. Before that I was employed in a company in Switzerland - and will have those income receipts to show if required. (as a side note, I do have stake in a company I created about 6 years ago in India, but I am a 'sleeping' partner there, so it would be incorrect to call it my current employer)

Do let me know if it should suffice to say 'self employed'??

Thanks

shankles

ps

I forgot to mention that in the B1B2 application for a tourist visa, 6 months back, I did mention this company where I am a partner as my 'current employer' but did not have any tax returns to show since I had been on a sabbatical from that place and had been working in Europe.
    s

Comment

URGENT - someone pls let me have ur thoughts

I am going to be teaching at a university in NY state, and have already received an I-797B from the USCIS. I will be starting to teach there in August and have already signed a contract with the university.

I still need to complete the DS 160 form in order to procure the H1B visa. In the DS 160 form, under present occupation, what should I write? I did just return from a 6month long vacation to the US (on a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa). So the best answer I can give is 'self employed' but I will not have any tax returns to show of the last 6 months. Before that I was employed in a company in Europe - and will have those income receipts to show if required. (as a side note, I do have stake in a company I created about 6 years ago in India, but I am a 'sleeping' partner there, so it would be incorrect to call it my current employer)

Do let me know if it should suffice to say 'self employed'??

Comment

If currently you are not employed, then you can mentioned unemployed. Always complete the DS160 to be as much accurate as possible. If you mention self employed, then expect to answer questions related to that.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

thanks

thanks so much shervin, Do you think that each time a DS 160 form is filed, they check consistencies with previous DS 160 form - I was granted a 10yr multiple tourist visa seven months back and was in the US, these past months - I am here to change from a b1b2 to an h1b.

Comment

They definitely can. They have all the information in their system. In case of an admin processing, they take their time to verify everything.

Originally posted by shankles View Post
            thanks so much shervin, Do you think that each time a DS 160 form is filed, they check consistencies with previous DS 160 form - I was granted a 10yr multiple tourist visa seven months back and was in the US, these past months - I am here to change from a b1b2 to an h1b.
            Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X