Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Stamping query, Hyderabad, noslip

Hello Group,

In April I came to India for my wedding and first time H1B stamping in Hyderabad. My Visa interview was before my wedding, VO asked me few questions regarding my Employer, Client. I basically belong to EVC(employer vendor client) model. He took my client letter, I129 petition and told me that USCIS will email me back in 2 weeks about next steps. Its been more than 2 months and I havent heard anything from him yet.I was neither issued any color slip nor my passport was taken. All that i was told was to wait for a letter from USCIS. I havebeen reading on forums about similar cases where wait time could be anytime from 6 weeks - 1 year, end result being approval/rejection.

All the while my wife managed to stay in India and work from Noida office location. She had her H1B visa stamped 2 years ago and her first term H1B visa is ending in Sept 2011. So her company asked her to come back to USA as she needs to be in the country when they file for her extension Given my scenario I need some information and suggestion from this forum as how to proceed.

My option for now is to wait for another month and go back on H4 visa, but to do this i have few questions

- If my visa rejects in next month and I decide to go back on H4 visa. Can my wife's current I797 be used while her extension is already filed. Her current I797 is valid until 21 Sept 2011. So even if the extension is filed, am I allowed to use her current I797 before it expires.

- My wife is informed that it takes about 2 - 4 months for extension approval. If I decide to go after 21st Sept 2011, do I have to wait until she is issued new I797 or will any of the extension petitions sufficient.

-Is it wise to go back before her extension is filed or To go back before she is issued receipt for her H1B extension i.e. during the time interval of filing H1B extension and getting a receipt which is about 3 weeks.

- Suppose if I havent heard anything from consulate yet Can I go for H4 stamping while my H1B stamping is pending. If yes, what will i have to do if USCIS approves my H1B stamp and asks me to submit passport immediately after going to US. Flying back is not a problem, but then my passport will already have a H4 stamp. Is this a legal way to approach, if yes what would my immigration status be at the end. I read about Last Action rule, according to this rule what will be my final status.

I appreciate for any kind of help.

Thank you,
    WindMill
    Last edited by windmill; 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM. Reason: changed title for better clarity

- If my visa rejects in next month and I decide to go back on H4 visa. Can my wife's current I797 be used while her extension is already filed. Her current I797 is valid until 21 Sept 2011. So even if the extension is filed, am I allowed to use her current I797 before it expires.
    >>> Yes, you can use her existing petition. But your H4 visa will be issued only till her petition expiry date. Advisable to go for the H4 stamped after her H1B extension gets approved.

- My wife is informed that it takes about 2 - 4 months for extension approval. If I decide to go after 21st Sept 2011, do I have to wait until she is issued new I797 or will any of the extension petitions sufficient.
    >>> You need her extended H1B approval notice to enter U.S. You cannot enter with an expired H1B petition.

-Is it wise to go back before her extension is filed or To go back before she is issued receipt for her H1B extension i.e. during the time interval of filing H1B extension and getting a receipt which is about 3 weeks.
    >>> Advisable to travel after the extension is approved, which will get you an I-94 that will match her extended petition expiry date. If you take the visa interview after her petition gets approved, you will have a h4 visa that is valid for a longer duration.

- Suppose if I havent heard anything from consulate yet Can I go for H4 stamping while my H1B stamping is pending. If yes, what will i have to do if USCIS approves my H1B stamp and asks me to submit passport immediately after going to US. Flying back is not a problem, but then my passport will already have a H4 stamp. Is this a legal way to approach, if yes what would my immigration status be at the end. I read about Last Action rule, according to this rule what will be my final status.
    >>> Your visa will not determine your status. The visa in which you enter U.S will determine your status. If consulate asks you to submit the passport for stamping the H1B visa, then when the H1B gets stamped, your H4 will most likely be cancelled.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks, one last question

Thanks for the reply Shervin143,
      Totally appreciate it.

Just wanted to clarify so while your H1b Stamping is under Admin process, applying for H4 would still be legal rght??

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by windmill View Post
        Just wanted to clarify so while your H1b Stamping is under Admin process, applying for H4 would still be legal rght??
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

updates, asked to submit passport

Hello Group,

I wanted to update about recent changes on my case.

On july 17th i emailed VFS to alot me a case number..they got back to me with a case number however this didnot show up on website
          19th july i got an email from USCIS that my case is being moved to 221G...in the email they asked few questions about my relationship with client and employer(i belong to EVC model) before even i replied a lady from VFS office called me and asked same questions..she typed every answer that i told her verbally
          aug 1st I got an email from vfs to submit passport...they asked me to track my passport online

My wait continues....

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X