How to be on payroll without SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be on payroll without SSN

I got COS change from H4 to H1 recently and joined a client in july. I am yet to get I797 document. So i cannot apply for SSN right now. If i get the documents soon, i would be applying for SSN soon. As per my employer, i cannot be put on payroll as i donot have SSN. So they are paying me with check right now without any paystub.

Did somebody else also faced the same situation. Is there any way to be on payroll without SSN.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that you did not get your I-797 yet. Are you saying that the online case status shows that your COS got approved and you are waiting for the original approval notice from USCIS or that you started working immediately after applying for the COS from H4 to H1B?

You will need to have valid payslips to prove that you mainatined your H1B status from day 1 the H1B becomes effective. However, like your employer mentioned, they cannot generate payslips until you get the SSN. They should hold the pay and generate the payslips (back dated) when the SSN gets approved. Once filed, it takes hardly 3 weeks for the SSN to get approved.
    Last edited by shervin143; 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

I mean that my H1 got approved (as per the status online) and i have the soft copy of I797 document. I am yet to receive the hard copy which is needed for applying for SSN.

So does it mean it is mandatory to have SSN to be on payroll.

Comment

Yes, you need to have a valid SSN to have the payslips generated. Getting checks from the employer isn't the right way since you will have to take care of the taxes. Ask them to generate back dates payslips and pay you once you get the SSN.

Originally posted by cool2k7 View Post
        So does it mean it is mandatory to have SSN to be on payroll.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X