Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1B Visa Stamping in hometown (Bogota, Colombia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Visa Stamping in hometown (Bogota, Colombia)

Hello everyone,

I'm going home for vacations (2 weeks) to my hometown (Bogota, Colombia). I'm currently on H1B and before that on post completion OPT from my masters degree (F1). The H1B has never been stamped before.

I already have the appointment with the US Embassy, thus I am doing a final check to make sure that I am prepared with every document I'll need for my visa stamping.

Here are my questions:

1. I've read in several forums that I should bring extra documentation, in case the consular official asks for: Payment stubs, medical insurance and taxes for example. I'm not sure what would be considered as a document that demonstrate that I filed my taxes during my F1, OPT and H1B periods.

2. When I was setting the appointment for the embassy, the person whom I spoke with mentioned that I should be able to produce evidence of ties to my home country. I did not ask more about this to the person on the phone (a very mean person), but it struck me as odd. I asked my H1- coworkers about it and they did not prepare any documentation nor they were asked about it. I've been gone from Colombia for the past 4 years, as you can imagine, proving such ties would be very hard.

Thanks.

1. I've read in several forums that I should bring extra documentation, in case the consular official asks for: Payment stubs, medical insurance and taxes for example. I'm not sure what would be considered as a document that demonstrate that I filed my taxes during my F1, OPT and H1B periods.
    >>> W2's and printouts that you get after filing your taxes with IRS.

2. When I was setting the appointment for the embassy, the person whom I spoke with mentioned that I should be able to produce evidence of ties to my home country. I did not ask more about this to the person on the phone (a very mean person), but it struck me as odd. I asked my H1- coworkers about it and they did not prepare any documentation nor they were asked about it. I've been gone from Colombia for the past 4 years, as you can imagine, proving such ties would be very hard.
    >>> They check these documents only for B1/B2. This is not required for H1B. If asked, explain that you will return back after the H1B term.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X