Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 to H1 COS and changing employer

Hello Mentors,

First of all I would like to apologize if I am creating a repetitive thread. I tried searching answer for below questions but could not find a satisfactory resolution.

I am working for employer A with L1B visa and I have already got a L1 extn. My Extended L1 is getting maxed out on 21-Dec-2011 and hence through my employer A, I filed for H1B conversion and it got approved and I have received the notice of action (I-797) with the new I-94 card.
    Effective date for my H1 is 01-OCT-2011 and it is valid through 07/2013.
    I have received a decent offer from company B and they are ready to transfer my H1 through premium process. Following are my questions.

1) Can I resign before OCT 1st (on L1) and serve the notice period of my curent employer A?

2) Can company B initiate, H1 transfer before effective date of OCT 1st?

3) What would be the safest date to resign from employer A and join company B?

4) Since, IT industry is unpredictable, assume a condition where in I resign from A after effective date and then B refuses employment in that case how many days can I stay in USA with no job until I find another?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards,
    RaguL

Originally posted by RaguL View Post
    Hello Mentors,

First of all I would like to apologize if I am creating a repetitive thread. I tried searching answer for below questions but could not find a satisfactory resolution.

I am working for employer A with L1B visa and I have already got a L1 extn. My Extended L1 is getting maxed out on 21-Dec-2011 and hence through my employer A, I filed for H1B conversion and it got approved and I have received the notice of action (I-797) with the new I-94 card.
    Effective date for my H1 is 01-OCT-2011 and it is valid through 07/2013.
    I have received a decent offer from company B and they are ready to transfer my H1 through premium process. Following are my questions.

1) Can I resign before OCT 1st (on L1) and serve the notice period of my curent employer A?
    You can resign after B files their petition and gets a receipt.
    2) Can company B initiate, H1 transfer before effective date of OCT 1st?
    Yes, but their effective date cannot be before Oct 1.
    3) What would be the safest date to resign from employer A and join company B?
    Safest day to start work with new employer is when their petition gets approved with change/extension of status.
    4) Since, IT industry is unpredictable, assume a condition where in I resign from A after effective date and then B refuses employment in that case how many days can I stay in USA with no job until I find another?
    Technically zero days.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards,
    RaguL
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X