Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i apply for new H1b now

Hi,

Am on h1b right now and my h1b (6years) completing this September.

In these 6years i am in USA for 4yrs, from last 2yrs iam working from india for US client and my employer running the USA taxes(fed and state taxes) and paying me.

My Question are

1)Can i eligible for new H1b in this year quota since i am out of country(USA) from last 2 years but my employer running my payroll.

2) Or do i need to wait until next year for new H1b

Only the time spend in U.S in H1B status counts towards your H1B 6 year period. The minute you left U.S you are no longer in any immigration status. That being said, you still have 2 more years left in your existing H1B CAP. However, since you have spent 1 year outside U.S, you qualify for a fresh H1B CAP (Fresh 6 year term). The CAP from the fiscal year 2012 is still open. Your employer can file a new H1B petition (Make sure they don't use the old CAP) and request a start date of Oct 1st 2011 or later.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the information provided Shervin. I was on US payroll since last 2 years and I was working to US Client remotly.
      Could you please let me know if I can file for a new H1 even then I was on payroll for that time.

Comment

Whether you are in their payroll or not doesn't matter so much when you are outside the country. What matters is when you left U.S. Since you left 2 years ago, you qualify for a H1B petition on a new CAP that is valid for 6 years.

Originally posted by Ramana909 View Post
        Thanks for the information provided Shervin. I was on US payroll since last 2 years and I was working to US Client remotly.
        Could you please let me know if I can file for a new H1 even then I was on payroll for that time.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X