Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Visa Interview-in Hyd-Next week. HELP Needed

Hi friends,

I got H1B visa from one company in the year 2007. But due to some personal reasons I could not go to USA with that Visa. That visa was expired on Sept 2009.

Now, I am working with another India Company. They have done H1B processing in the year 2010 quota.
    My petition start date was 4/13/2011 and end date is 4/12/2012. They have given me validity for only 1 year. Now, this company is sending me for H1B Visa interview. Hardly I have only 5 months validity from now.

I am afraid that there is less chances for getting Visa now with below questions I have. Could you please clarify.

1) There is only 5 months petition validity.
    2) I did not utilize my previous H1B visa.
    3) Will there be any chance now to apply for extension after I get he visa?
    4) If by chance if I get Visa, will there be any chance of renew it? If I can renew, how many months before I need to apply?

Thank you for your time on this.

Request you to please HELP me and also clarify how I have to answer if they ask about why you did not go using previous Visa?

Request you to please send answers ASAP as I have interview with Hyderabad consulate next week.

1) There is only 5 months petition validity.
    >>> That doesn't matter. You can go for the visa stamping as long as the petition remain valid. You will get the visa (if everything else is okay) until the petition expiry date.

2) I did not utilize my previous H1B visa.
    >>> It is not necessary to travel to U.S and work just because the visa is approved. This should not be an issue.

3) Will there be any chance now to apply for extension after I get he visa?
    >>> You can apply for the extension once you reach U.S. The extension papers should reach USCIS before the current I-94 (The open that you will get at the POE) expires.

4) If by chance if I get Visa, will there be any chance of renew it? If I can renew, how many months before I need to apply?
    >>> Read the above answer. Extension can be filed 6 months prior to the I-94 expiry date.

Request you to please HELP me and also clarify how I have to answer if they ask about why you did not go using previous Visa?
    >>> There will be no such question. If asked, explain why yuo did not travel. It is no big deal.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

sorry to write here for shervin143

Hi Shervin143.

I want to ask you that can we play lottery on H1B and pay federal and state tax on gambling what we win?
      the W-2G is for that, I still confussed that we can play lottery on H1B or not. if we win big amount than that will problem for status?

Because I want to claim some lottery tickets that over 65k USD (minus state and federal tax). when I visit lottery office they told me tax will be on 2011 W-2g form under Certain gambling winnings.

I want to know if its not a problem on H1B status than I want to claim it and play more..... sorry to write here because I can not create the new post , its return back to login page back but I already logged on and I can reply to any post but can not creat new post.....!! I dont know why?

Thanks,
      Prashant

Comment

Hi Shervin143.

I want to ask you that can we play lottery on H1B and pay federal and state tax on gambling what we win?
        the W-2G is for that, I still confussed that we can play lottery on H1B or not. if we win big amount than that will problem for status?

Because I want to claim some lottery tickets that over 65k USD (minus state and federal tax). when I visit lottery office they told me tax will be on 2011 W-2g form under Certain gambling winnings.

I want to know if its not a problem on H1B status than I want to claim it and play more..... sorry to write here because I can not create the new post , its return back to login page back but I already logged on and I can reply to any post but can not creat new post.....!! I dont know why?

Thanks,
        Prashant

Comment

It depends on the state that you live. Most states permit people in visa to play lottery. Here is the best way to check. Look at the backside of the lottery ticket. If only citizens and permanent residents can play, it will be clearly mentioned in the instruction at the backside of the ticket. If not, you are all good.

Originally posted by h1bfile View Post
          Hi Shervin143.

Thanks,
          Prashant

Comment

Thanks shervin143,
            I checked its written citizens of US can play under 18.
            but I checked with lottery office today they told me if you hold SSN then we will pay money , they dont know any visa rules , but you have SSN then we can pay money of winning game.
            thats why I am confused that if they pay me, issue me W-2G with winning ammount and minus all taxes so, its not effect on my H1B status, that I want to know. lottery office can pay this ammount, they already told me to claim it, even I dont want to show they my original SSN , just write down SSN, show State ID thats it as proof that you are staying in this current state.. and get money...

Prashant

Comment

Go ahead and take the money. Lottery winnings are okay with USCIS. It is very hard to say comment without knowing the lottery rules of the particular state where you live. Consult an immigration attorney if you are really concerned.

Originally posted by h1bfile View Post
              Thanks shervin143,
              I checked its written citizens of US can play under 18.
              but I checked with lottery office today they told me if you hold SSN then we will pay money , they dont know any visa rules , but you have SSN then we can pay money of winning game.
              thats why I am confused that if they pay me, issue me W-2G with winning ammount and minus all taxes so, its not effect on my H1B status, that I want to know. lottery office can pay this ammount, they already told me to claim it, even I dont want to show they my original SSN , just write down SSN, show State ID thats it as proof that you are staying in this current state.. and get money...

Prashant

Comment

Thanks Shervin143,
                Sorry again I am here because I dont know after updation of this immihelp website , I am not able to create new post.

I claim lottery ticket's , they issued me W-2G , we can play lottery on H1B that absolutely no problem with H1B status.
                I clear with immigration lawyer. my company dont know the complete H1B rules.

Prashant

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X