Time taken to recieve 797-a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time taken to recieve 797-a

Hello forum, i got my H1b approval notice on the online website on 27th september, I want to know how much time does it take for the i-797 + the i-94 cos form to arrive. i was suppose to start working on oct 5th but still those documents havent arrive.
    Can i start working without the i797 and i90 or will i have to wait for it and supposedly if they arrive late...will i be still maintaining my H1b status

Thanks

You have mentioned that you have applied the H1B as a COS. What was your previous status? You should wait until you get the hard copy of the approval notice before you start working to make sure the H1B is indeed approved as a COS and not for consular process. It will take about 2 weeks to get the original approval notice in mail.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the reply. The COS was from visitor visa to H1b...I am currently in us when the application was filed and my visitor visa i94 was expring on dec 2011...The start date of my job in the application was oct 5 ...and is it ok to be jobless and not gettting salary waiting for the i797 say it comes on oct 15-20...will i have some problem in proving that i was on h1b status from oct 5-20...i wont be drawing any salary or paying tax for this period....or can i start working

Comment

If petition was approved on Sep 27, your employer will receive approval notice within at most 2 weeks. If H1 status start date (petition start date) is Oct 1, you must begin working immediately after receiving the approval notice.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Are you talking about the approval notice received in Email or the hard copy, my employee hasnt received any of the two though the website says it has been approved. I was suppose to start working on Oct 5, but with no i797 in hand i have no ssn nothing.

Comment

You will have to wait for the hard copy. They will get it very soon. Start working as soon as you get it. SSN is not required for working. But for getting paid is necessary that you have at least applied for SSN. You can apply as soon as your receive the approval notice.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X