Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May an H1-B holder be a semen donor?

Hi,

Currently I'm in H1B status working in a research position at a local university.

I'd like to have an extra income by becoming a semen donor. They pay $60 per week. In 10 months is about $2400. They say that you get a 1099 form at the end of the year

My question is: is it allowed to someone in my case to have this extra income? What are the implications?

Thanks

The short answer is: probably not.

For the long answer, take a look at http://www.kimgreenblatt.com/wordpre...ncome-taxable/

Comment

When you are in H1B status, you can work only for the employer who sponsored your H1B. An income from any other source is illegal. The only exception to this is investments in stocks and playing lottery (Even lottery depends on the state that you live).
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_mouse View Post
        The short answer is: probably not.

For the long answer, take a look at http://www.kimgreenblatt.com/wordpre...ncome-taxable/
        Thanks for your answer and link. I read all that blog post and it says absolutely nothing about being allowed to have that extra income if you are on an H1B visa. It says it's difficult you will be selected, but that if you are, you have to pay taxes on what you get paid. OK, I will pay taxes on that income, no problem at all.

My question is not whether I will have to pay taxes but rather if I won't get into any trouble with the USCIS for getting paid by someone that is not the employer who sponsored my H1-B visa.

Can anyone shed more light into this?

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
          When you are in H1B status, you can work only for the employer who sponsored your H1B. An income from any other source is illegal. The only exception to this is investments in stocks and playing lottery (Even lottery depends on the state that you live).
          So, I cannot even have a certificate of deposit in a bank? or earn interest in a savings account?

By the way, these guys heavily advertise to international students. Being in an F1 visa with a scholarship would also has the requirement that you only can get paid by your University, wouldn't it?

Moreover, can't you participate in research studies as a paid subject? I did so when I was in F1 and never had a problem, but I never gave my SSN or received a form from the university.

Comment

Originally posted by immigrantusa View Post
            Thanks for your answer and link. I read all that blog post and it says absolutely nothing about being allowed to have that extra income if you are on an H1B visa. It says it's difficult you will be selected, but that if you are, you have to pay taxes on what you get paid. OK, I will pay taxes on that income, no problem at all.

My question is not whether I will have to pay taxes but rather if I won't get into any trouble with the USCIS for getting paid by someone that is not the employer who sponsored my H1-B visa.

Can anyone shed more light into this?
            I thought you knew more about the conditions of the H1B visa. Mr Shervin post was short and to the point. Going back to the post I provided the URL for, here's the key part - I thought you would understand the implications of it:

"That means that the income goes on Line 21 of your 1040 or you will need to fill out a Schedule C and be taxed on both sides of social security and half of self employment tax. "

As Mr Shervin explained, you can only work for the employer who sponsored your visa - no side jobs, which would include NO SELF EMPLOYMENT.

Bottom line here is: people is trying to share what they know for free. You've been told twice it would be a bad idea. If you still feel like arguing - consult an immigration attorney

Comment

Mr. Mouse : first of all, I already thanked you for your answer.

I also read the entire page on the link you sent. Just an advice: it could be better to just point out the only line that is useful instead of asking people to spend 10 minutes reading a page and find the one line I think is useful. That's not helpful.

Originally posted by mickey_mouse View Post
              Bottom line here is: people is trying to share what they know for free. You've been told twice it would be a bad idea. If you still feel like arguing - consult an immigration attorney
              ... or ignore useless answers

Comment

Originally posted by immigrantusa View Post
                Mr. Mouse : first of all, I already thanked you for your answer.

I also read the entire page on the link you sent. Just an advice: it could be better to just point out the only line that is useful instead of asking people to spend 10 minutes reading a page and find the one line I think is useful. That's not helpful.
                Obviously your 10 mins are a lot more valuable than Mr Mouse'

Comment

Originally posted by rvisak View Post
                  Obviously your 10 mins are a lot more valuable than Mr Mouse'
                  He read that post before me, didn't he? So it's not a matter of whether his 10 min are less or more valuable than mine, his were already spent, why make other people waste theirs?

Thanks for the pointless arguments.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X