Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can one apply for H1B again once 6 years quota is over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can one apply for H1B again once 6 years quota is over?

Hi,

My H1B expires in next month. I have utilized the 6 years stay limit. What are the rules about applying fresh H1? Do I have to wait for some time before applying? I had heard about taking 1 year gap but not sure if that is for applying fresh H1B or for entering the states with fresh H1B. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Yes, you will have to spend 1 year outside the US.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by pritu_sisodia View Post
      Hi,

This query is about applying fresh H1B. I had sent you an email in past mentioning that my stay in US for 6 years was completed. But when I calculated it, I realized that I was in USA for a total period of 5 years and 9 months - on and off from Apr 2004 to Oct 2011. My H1B expired on 14th November 2011. I understand that if one has stayed in USA for 6 years then 1 year cooling off period is required to file fresh H1B. In my case the time spent is 3 months short of 6 years. So would I still be required to satisfy cooling off period? Or will I be eligible for applying fresh H1B starting April 2012 provided all other conditions/rules of my employer/company are satisfied? Pls let me know.
      First of all, fresh H1 petition cannot start before Oct 1.
      Secondly, your employer can claim the remaining 3 months at any time, but after spending 3 months in the US, you will have to spend another 1 year outside to qualify for fresh 6 years under new cap.
      If you left the US in November 2011, your earliest start date for new H1 can be Nov 2012. A petition will have to be filed up to 6 months before this date.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X