H1 Clock reset query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Clock reset query

I understand that brief trips for business and pleasure to the US don't materially affect H1B clock reset (i.e. the requirement that you have to stay outside the US for an year after completing 6 years there). Does an exchange visitor (J1) visa also does not affect one's clock reset?

e.g.

Scenario 1: Let's say you've spent 6 months outside the US. After that you make 1 month of pleasure trip to the US on a B1 visa. That means you only need to stay out of the US for another 6 months for you to be eligible for clock reset. So all in, your clock is back to 0 after 13 months {12**}. ---- I know that this scenario is TRUE and ALLOWED.

Scenario 2: Let's say you've spent 6 months outside the US. After that you come to the US as an exchange student for 6 months - J1 visa. Would you now have to spend 12 months AGAIN after completing your student exchg program {i.e. 6+6**2 in total} or will you only need to spend 6 more months after the exchange to have the clock reset {6+6+6 in total} ---- I am not sure about THIS one????

Anyone know?

J1 will not qualify. Only visitor status(B1/B2) is okay.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X