Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport is expired at the time of H1B extension

Hi,

My passport is going to expire in 4 months, Also my son's passport is already expired last month.
    My company is filling H1B/H4 extension. Will there be any issue with the expired passport ? Or I must renew my and my son's passport before filing the extension? In that case I may need to wait for a month, which I don't prefer.
    Please advise.

Thanks

One is not supposed to be present in a foreign country without valid passport. So renew all your passport asap irrespective of H1 extension.
    Next, check all your I-94's. Are any of them expiring with the passports? If so extensions must be filed before the I-94's expire.
    Extensions may only be approved until passport expiry dates and so passport must be renewed immediately.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Kabkaba for the reply.
      My last extension was filed in 2009 and I have got extension till 2012 that is beyond my passport expiry date. That's why I thought the passport expiry date and the H1B extension are not linked.

Comment

Check your latest I-94's. (All).
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Yes, the date on I-94 is as per my approved extension. So even on the expired passport, the visa and the I-94 have dates of 2012.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X