Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 B Visa Petition Denied

Hello,

My name is Pat. I am currently living in USA with my dependent wife. I completed my MS in Accounting in May-2010 which gives me a valid OPT period till May-2011 + 60 days. During year 2010-11 I got a real accounting job and we eventually filed for H-1 B Visa in april-2011 (before my OPT expired). Now from April-Oct, I was legally allowed to stay and worked under CAP-GAP rules, recently on 10/12/11 we were informed that my I-129 petition for H-1 got denied and it states that I must depart from USA if my I-94 is expired. The basis for such denial was that my job needs a bookkeeper and not accountant so it is not a specialty occupation.

My question is that my I-94 does not have an expiry date on it, so does it mean that I have to consider my OPT expiry date?

Is there anything that I can do to buy some more months’ time in USA legally? My employer will do anything in order to keep me.

I request you to help me, I am in great pain and stress right now.

Thanks!

You are allowed to stay until the OPT end date + 60 days (same for your wife on F2 Visa).
    If that period has ended, you must leave the US. If there is still some time left in that period, your employer can file another proper H1 petition (possibly take help from an experienced lawyer). But you will have to stop working in any case. Any more work is illegal.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. But my question is that my I-94 does not have an expiry date, in this case does my OPT card expiry date the final date?

Secondly my employer owns a second company whcih is a seperate entity, and they are ready to do anything in order to keep me in USA, so can we make use of this path and can I stay in USA during that time span?

Comment

Originally posted by pat22 View Post
        Thank you for your answer. But my question is that my I-94 does not have an expiry date, in this case does my OPT card expiry date the final date?
        OPT end date + 60 days.

Secondly my employer owns a second company whcih is a seperate entity, and they are ready to do anything in order to keep me in USA, so can we make use of this path and can I stay in USA during that time span?
        If OPT + 60 days has ended, you must leave. You must stop working anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
          If OPT + 60 days has ended, you must leave. You must stop working anyway.
          Can you answer the second question, Please??

Comment

Answer is included. You must leave = You cannot stay no matter what you do.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X