Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change on H4 visa

Hi guys,
    I am working here in US on H1B Visa and I 140 is already approved and immigration petition filed under EB3, waiting for dates to get current. In India I never bothered about last name so my two kids had different last names which didn't coincide with my last name. Since there's a lot of importance here for last name we had so many confusions at schools and other different occasions so I thought of changing the last names of my kids to the same as mine. I asked my American attorney about the consequences of doing this at this stage but he told me to go ahead and get it done as we can change the name at any stage of immigration process with proper eveidence. So after green light from attorney's office I started the process with applying for a new passport with changed name. Our embassy at washington DC issued new passports with changed names after completing all the stated formalities and cancelled the old PPs. Now with these new PPs and the affidavits I asked my attorney's office to get the H4 VISAS in new names as they were being renewed. He submitted the applications with new names but the visas came back with same previous names. When I questioned he again submitted a correction request to CIS which was again rejected saying the names on H4 go as per the I94 and cannot be changed. All this process took several months with a lot of stress and confusion, finally my attorney realized that it can't be done this way but he's clueless about the right way to get that done.
    After getting disappointed with attorney I approached CIS my self multiple times through phone and personally at the local offices but most of the officials were clueless. Finally one official told me that there's no procedure to change the name on H4 as per the new PP coz h4 is based on I 94 and he also told me that to get new H4s with new names my kids have to exit out of US and approach any US consulate and there they can be issued new H4s with new names after proper evidence of name change. When I asked him about any problems to exit as the previous PP is cancelled, he said there should not be any problem as both PPs are attached.
    It's really very complicated situation and I don't know whether to believe that official and go to India or just continue the same way.My family has plans to visit India this coming summer,if any of our members had any similar experience or heard about it please advise me the right path. I really appreciate your help.
    Regards,
    Vaj.

The information from the USCIS official is correct. When your family exit U.S, they will have to get the H4 visa stamped again with the correct names based on your H1B approval notice. At the POE they will get new I-94 as per the names printed on their U.S visa.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Name change on H4 visa

Thanks a lot Shervin, I really appreciate your time to answer my question. Just one more question, don't you think the officials at the consulate will object for previous names on the H4 approval notices?They are valid until 2014.And while booking the ticket to India which names shall I use the old cancelled PP or the new PP with changed names? If I use new PP that doesn't match with I-94 and if I use same as I-94 then the PP is cancelled, I am really in a dilemma.
      Regards,
      Vaj

Comment

Here is the basic rule - When you leave the country, return all your I-94s. So when you attend the visa interview, you should not have any I-94s with you. Name chance is not a crime. People change their names for lot of reasons. As long as you have the documentation to prove that, you are all good. You can attend the visa interview again. If the VO asks why you are requesting a new H4 visa when the old one is still valid, mention that it is for the name change. Any information that you enter in DS160 should be of the new passport. In DS160 there will be a question that asks if you were called by a different name before. Enter the previous name (before name change) there. And that is all to it.

Originally posted by vajahat View Post
        Thanks a lot Shervin, I really appreciate your time to answer my question. Just one more question, don't you think the officials at the consulate will object for previous names on the H4 approval notices?They are valid until 2014.And while booking the ticket to India which names shall I use the old cancelled PP or the new PP with changed names? If I use new PP that doesn't match with I-94 and if I use same as I-94 then the PP is cancelled, I am really in a dilemma.
        Regards,
        Vaj

Comment

Name change on H4 visa

Thanks a lot Shervin, I feel relieved now with your guidance. May God bless you.You didn't answer my question about airline ticket booking, which name shall I use for that as active PP and I-94 have different names. I really appreciate your answer to this one last question .
          Regards,
          Vaj.

Comment

The names have been officially changed. Why will you use the old names now? You should go with the names in the latest passport.

Originally posted by vajahat View Post
            Thanks a lot Shervin, I feel relieved now with your guidance. May God bless you.You didn't answer my question about airline ticket booking, which name shall I use for that as active PP and I-94 have different names. I really appreciate your answer to this one last question .
            Regards,
            Vaj.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X