Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS-160 question - New Passport application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-160 question - New Passport application.

Hi all,

I had a question which I couldn't easily find answer for in the forums.

I will be applying for H4 visa in Chennai consulate. Long story short, I was on H1B - Lost my job and i am returning back to India in order to get a H4 stamp since my spouse has a valid H1B visa.

As luck would have it, my passport is expiring in July 2012. So I would like to apply for a new passport(under tatkal) and then submit my DS 160. I've made travel arrangements and have about a month to get a new passport and go for the interview.

1) By when do I need to to submit the online DS160 form before the interview date.
    2) Will I be able to schedule an interview using my current passport(valid for 8 months) and then apply for a new passport(under tatkaal) and finally submit the DS160 form online with new passport number and take the new passport to the interview? (phew..).

It's a odd situation I'm stuck in and I hope its possible to pull it off. Anyone with any similar prior experience who can share what they went through?

Thanks!

You should use your existing passport to fill DS form, book appointment, apply for the Visa. Get the Visa in the old passport and then apply for passport renewal. Check passport renewal timeline in your home country.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Hi kabkaba,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

- If i do get a visa stamp on my old passport and then apply for a new passport, will I be able to enter US by showing the visa on my old passport?(Of course I'll be carrying my new one along too).
      - Will the consulate grant a Visa for a shorter period since my passport is expiring soon?
      - Also, the process i mentioned in my earlier post about applying for a new passport not work at all?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by celeritas View Post
        Hi kabkaba,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

- If i do get a visa stamp on my old passport and then apply for a new passport, will I be able to enter US by showing the visa on my old passport?(Of course I'll be carrying my new one along too).
        Yes
        - Will the consulate grant a Visa for a shorter period since my passport is expiring soon?
        Normally not, they will not go by the passport expiry date.
        - Also, the process i mentioned in my earlier post about applying for a new passport not work at all?
        Visa fees are also linked to passport number and that can be a problem. Call VFS.
        Thanks!
        See above.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

>>> It is very much possible that the visa can be issued only till the passport expiry date (If the passport is expiring within the next 12 months). It totally depends on the VO. Search for threads that discusses about this issue.

>>> People have done it successfully. You have to carry both the passports. If the visa is approved, they will stamp it in the new passport.
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X