Studying on H4 or F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying on H4 or F1

I am on H1B and planning to get married and bring my wife on H4. She also wants to do her MS after 8 or 12 months being in US. Does she need to convert to F1 to begin her Master's or can she do her Master's on H4 itself. I understand that on F1 she has the option to work on campus or do CPT,OPT etc and if she studies on H4 then she will exhaust almost 3/6 yrs by being on H status and will also not be able to work.

If she does want to come on F1 directly, what are the chances that her visa may get rejected because she will be married.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,
    C

I am on H1B and planning to get married and bring my wife on H4. She also wants to do her MS after 8 or 12 months being in US.

Does she need to convert to F1 to begin her Master's or can she do her Master's on H4 itself.
    >>> She is allowed to do her masters in H4. However some schools will ask for F1.

I understand that on F1 she has the option to work on campus or do CPT,OPT etc and if she studies on H4 then she will exhaust almost 3/6 yrs by being on H status and will also not be able to work.
    >>> Only the time spend in U.S in H1B or L1 status counts towards the 6 year limit. H4 doesn't count. However, she cannot do her OPT/CPT if she is in H4. She will need to be in F1 to take advantage of them.

If she does want to come on F1 directly, what are the chances that her visa may get rejected because she will be married.
    >>> There is no rule that only an unmaried single can do their masters in U.S. Her F1 will ot get rejected just because she is married. You also have the option of bringing here on H4 and then file a COS to F1 later when she is ready to go to school.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X