Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H1 transition

Hello,

I am presently working on F1-OPT with my employer. My employer will file H1 petition on March 31,2012. I assume that when my H1 gets approved (mostly it will be through premium processing) it will be valid from October 1, 2012.

I plan to travel to India from June 2012 till July 2012. I am pretty sure that my H1B will be approved before that. However, my question is,

When my H1 gets approved, do I loose my F1 OPT status? Because, I need my F1 status to return to US in July 2012. Because, even though my H1 will be approved, It will be valid only from October 2012. Or Can I use my approved H1 to return to US in July 2012?

Nikhil

Not recommended.
    Your change of status to H1 may get voided when you travel and return in F1 status with a new I-94. There are conflicting views on that and it is best not to create status confusions.
    Set your return date to be on or after Oct 1 and get your H1 Visa from a US Consulate/Embassy while you are abroad or travel before Apr 1 and use the latest I-94 in filing H1 petition.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X