H1 b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 b

I work for a well-known university as a faculty. I got my H1B approval notice last year (September 2011), which is valid till 2014; and, since then, I haven't traveled to India. So, I need to get my visa stamped.

Now, my employer has requested me to go to a Far Eastern nation late summer. I have following questions:

1. Can I travel to this country, given my status?
    2. If I can travel, do I need to get my visa stamped considering the fact that I will not be going to India.
    3. If I need to get my visa stamped, can I get it stamped in the Far Eastern country I am visiting or do I need to go to India for stamping?

Thank You

Originally posted by drpproject View Post
    I work for a well-known university as a faculty. I got my H1B approval notice last year (September 2011), which is valid till 2014; and, since then, I haven't traveled to India. So, I need to get my visa stamped.

Now, my employer has requested me to go to a Far Eastern nation late summer. I have following questions:

1. Can I travel to this country, given my status?

Yes, you can travel but you will need stamping before coming back to US.

2. If I can travel, do I need to get my visa stamped considering the fact that I will not be going to India.
    Yes. Anytime you leave US even if you go to a different country, you will need to a visa stamp to come back to US.

3. If I need to get my visa stamped, can I get it stamped in the Far Eastern country I am visiting or do I need to go to India for stamping?
    Yes. You can get your visa stamped in the Far Eastern country. But my suggestion after reading tons of messages at immihelp and also from personal experience would be to go to India for stamping. The reasons are that if you have any problem in stamping then you are stuck in a unknown country and you will have more financial losses. If you are stuck in India then at least you can enjoy the extended holiday with your family and friends.

There is a possibility of 221g administrative processing for Ph.D.s on H1b recently and the processing could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 4 months. So be advised before travelling.

Thank You
    Hope this helps.

Comment

If this is your first time H1B stamping, then the U.S consulate in the 3rd nation may ask you to go back to your home to get the visa stamped. It will be very difficult for them to evaluate your academic credentials and certificates.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X