Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant Wife (28th week) traveling to US

Hi,

My wife and I were issued H4 and H1-B visa respectively in India recently and we will be traveling to New Jersey in a few weeks. By then, my wife will be in the 28th week of pregnancy (her expected due date is approximately 85 days from the date of travel).

I read in many places that airlines need a medical certificate from a doctor after 27 weeks of pregnancy and they generally allow pregnant woman to travel until 32-36 weeks. My wife is going to get fitness certificate from the doctor and will travel only if the doctor advises her to do so.

1. Is there a law in the U.S which prevents a pregnant woman who is in her 3rd trimester to come to the U.S? Will there be any issue at the port of entry? Can someone be deported for this reason? (this is my biggest fear!!) I am working for a large IT company and have all the required documents including proof of medical insurance. My employer will provide medical insurance for both of us. Also, I studied and lived in the US for 3.5 years.

2. How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from the 3rd trimester in the U.S?

Please help by responding to these questions. Thanks.

1. Is there a law in the U.S which prevents a pregnant woman who is in her 3rd trimester to come to the U.S? Will there be any issue at the port of entry?
    >>> Usually it is a concern when someone travel in B1/B2 with the intention to give birth in U.S so that they have their son/duaghter be a U.S cistizen. This is not an issue for H1B/H4 holders. Also, it is advisable to carry prood of medical insurance. The officer at the POE may sometimes be curious who you will bear the expenses associated with the child birth.

Can someone be deported for this reason? (this is my biggest fear!!)
    >>> Not in H1B/H4 visa. Be it a B1/B2, there are chances of geting deported.

I am working for a large IT company and have all the required documents including proof of medical insurance. My employer will provide medical insurance for both of us. Also, I studied and lived in the US for 3.5 years.
    >>> Well, in that case, carry proof of medical insurance which will be helpful if the officer at the POE asks about it.

2. How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from the 3rd trimester in the U.S?
    >>> It it no difficult provided you have proper medical insurance. Get information related to your medical insurance and look for OB care hospitals that are covered in your medical plan that are close to the place where you will live. You can do this before you enter U.S.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X