Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B to F1 after 6 years period is up?

Hi,

Next year will be my 6th year under H1B. I am making a contingency plan for the case where my PERM does not get filed in time for the 7th year extension. I need to stay in the US for the next 3 years due to personal reasons. I'm thinking of applying to go to graduate school. What I'm not sure about is whether I am required to leave the US right after the 6th year is up, or can I change my status to F1 and continue my stay in the US?

I understand that I will not be able to get another H1B until records show that I've been out of the US for 1+ year. I just want to know if I can take care of that 1+ year later.

Thank you for your insights!

Next year will be my 6th year under H1B. I am making a contingency plan for the case where my PERM does not get filed in time for the 7th year extension. I need to stay in the US for the next 3 years due to personal reasons. I'm thinking of applying to go to graduate school. What I'm not sure about is whether I am required to leave the US right after the 6th year is up, or can I change my status to F1 and continue my stay in the US?
    >>> You can file a COS to F1 and if the COS gets approved, you can stay in U.S.

I understand that I will not be able to get another H1B until records show that I've been out of the US for 1+ year. I just want to know if I can take care of that 1+ year later.
    >>> You can take care of it later.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response. One follow up question: how long does a COS approval usually take (are we talking weeks or months)? Just wondering if I'd have enough time after my H1B ends to file for the COS. Thank you!

Comment

1-3 months.

Originally posted by user20111112 View Post
        Thank you for your quick response. One follow up question: how long does a COS approval usually take (are we talking weeks or months)? Just wondering if I'd have enough time after my H1B ends to file for the COS. Thank you!
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X