L1 to H1,when to stop working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 to H1,when to stop working

Hi,I am on L1 visa and working for a company. I even applied for H1 for a employer other than my current employer for whom i am on L1. My question is if my H1 gets approved does that mean i can no more work for my current employer on L1 starting October. My L1 is still valid for another 1 year.

If H1 is approved with change of status (I-94 at the bottom of approval notice), you must begin working for the H1 employer on the starting date (Oct 1).
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Was the H1B filed as a COS from L1 or for consular process. If it is a COS, then your status wil change to H1B as of Oct 1st (as H1B approval will come with a new I-94) and you can no longer work for the L1 employer. Any such employment with the L1 employer after the H1B effective date is illegal. If you want to keep working for the L1 employer, then you should leave the country before H1B becomes effective and return back in L1 visa after the H1B effective date. You should return all the I-94s including the one that comes with the H1B approval when you leave the country. Search and read about "Leap Frog". If the H1B is filed for consular process (No new I-94 with the H1B approval), then you can continue to work for the L1 employer until the L1 I-94 expiry date. In such case, when you want to work for the H1B sponsor, leave the country and return back in H1B visa.

Originally posted by vickysingh View Post
      Hi,I am on L1 visa and working for a company. I even applied for H1 for a employer other than my current employer for whom i am on L1. My question is if my H1 gets approved does that mean i can no more work for my current employer on L1 starting October. My L1 is still valid for another 1 year.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X