Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expired Visa Stamp/Valid I797/Passport Expiring Soon / Green Card Application/Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired Visa Stamp/Valid I797/Passport Expiring Soon / Green Card Application/Travel

I have an H1b stamp in my passport that is valid until Sep '12. I switched jobs last year and transferred my H1b to a new employer and new H1b ( I 797) expires Oct '13, the visa stamp in my passport still list the Sep '12 date. Is there anyway I can travel outside of USA (in Dec '12) and not have to go to my home country to renew my visa stamp to be able to re-enter the US?

Also I am marrying an american citizen and my passport expires in Feb '13 (hence the date on my I-94), will I have any problem applying for a green card (through marriage) after Sep '12 (considering my visa stamp is expired and my passport will soon expire)?
    Also, do I qualify for concurrent filing of (I-485 & I-130)? How long does it take before I get a temporary green card? Can I travel on a temp green card?

I have an H1b stamp in my passport that is valid until Sep '12. I switched jobs last year and transferred my H1b to a new employer and new H1b ( I 797) expires Oct '13, the visa stamp in my passport still list the Sep '12 date. Is there anyway I can travel outside of USA (in Dec '12) and not have to go to my home country to renew my visa stamp to be able to re-enter the US?
    >>> You cannot re-enter U.S without a valid visa in the passport. You need to apply for a H1B visa and get it approved so that you can re-enter back in H1B status.

Also I am marrying an american citizen and my passport expires in Feb '13 (hence the date on my I-94), will I have any problem applying for a green card (through marriage) after Sep '12 (considering my visa stamp is expired and my passport will soon expire)?
    >>> Visa in the passport is not considered while filing GC. You will have to renew your passport even to get the visa as per the petition expiry date.

Also, do I qualify for concurrent filing of (I-485 & I-130)? How long does it take before I get a temporary green card? Can I travel on a temp green card?
    >>> There is no such thing as temp GC. There is a separate section dedicated for Green card in immihelp. Post your questions related to Gc there.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks shervin143! I really appreciate your help!
      So to verify, I need at least 6 months of passport validity to apply for a visa (H1b and GC)?

Comment

If the passport expires within a year, the VO may issue you the visa only till the passport expiry date even if you have an extended petition. It is advisable to have an extended passport while initiating the GC process.

Originally posted by jadaniel84 View Post
        Thanks shervin143! I really appreciate your help!
        So to verify, I need at least 6 months of passport validity to apply for a visa (H1b and GC)?
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X