Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• h1 transfer - confused' please help

Hi

I am on a h1 visa with i94 valid till July 03 2011. My old i 797 however is only valid till June 23. On April 23 I applied for h1 extension till July 3 under regular processing - it is under initial review currently. Now my new employer will be applying for an extension of my h1 till 2015.

1. Is it possible to apply for new extension before current extension is approved
    2. Do I have to have the receipt notice in hand before I can start working for new employer? Or is having applied and made sure that application has reached by tracking the package sufficient?
    3. How late can my new employer apply for the new extension? Is it enough to have sent the application before July 3 or should it reach USCIS before July 2003?

Thanks

1. Is it possible to apply for new extension before current extension is approved
    >>> Yes. Extension is a term used when you file a petition for extending the status with the current employer. Filing with new employer is termed as a transfer and transfer. So no issues.

2. Do I have to have the receipt notice in hand before I can start working for new employer? Or is having applied and made sure that application has reached by tracking the package sufficient?
    >>> You should have the receipt number.

3. How late can my new employer apply for the new extension? Is it enough to have sent the application before July 3 or should it reach USCIS before July 2003?
    >>> Your documents for transfer should reach USCIS before your current I-94 expiry date to make things smooth. If the I-94 has already expired, then you will need to file the transfer based on the pending extension which is termed as bridging. There are complications in bridging petitions. Search and read the posts on bridging.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

@Shervin

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X