Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B reuse after being out of USA for > 6 yrs

Hi,

I used to work in US on H1B from Jan 2005 - March 2006. I wish to come back and work again for few years. Do I have to reapply for a new H1B or I can use the remaining time on my existing H1B?

It has been more than 6 years since my last H1B stamping.

Also I have a stamp of "Cancelled without prejudice" on my original H1 stamping. Not sure if that matters in this case.

Please let me know.

Thanks
    -V

One H1b CAP is valid only for 6 years. You need to file a new H1B that is subjected to CAP. CAP for 2013 is already closed. You have to wait until April 2013 to file a new H1B under the 2014 CAP (Which will have a H1B start date of Oct 1st 2013).
    Last edited by shervin143; 06-16-2012, 05:10 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

I believe Shervin means 2014 Cap starting from April 2013 with start date of Oct 2013.

Comment

Yes, sorry for the typo.

Comment

How many times can you apply for H1B CAP

Hi,

My 6 years on my H1 is soon approaching and I am presently not very close to getting a green card. If I have to continue staying in the US, I will have to get a new H1 (subject to the CAP).
          My questions are -
          1. Is there a limit on the number of times you can apply for a new H1?
          2. Is it any harder to get it a second time?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

1. Is there a limit on the number of times you can apply for a new H1?
            >>> No.

2. Is it any harder to get it a second time?
            >>> Not if the right employer files it.

Comment

Have you already completed or about to complete 6 Years on H1? If yes, then you can get another 6 years only after being outside US for 1 full year. This is my opinion, do seek expert guidance too.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X