Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study while on H1B Visa

Study while on H1B Visa?

I am currently on a H1B Visa. My H1B petition was filed for me to work in field of IT. Now I decided to do an MBA , after office hours.

My questions is:

1. Whether I can study while am on a H1B visa?
    2. Once my H1B Visa gets over can I change the status to F1 which is students visa?
    3 . If I am on a F1 Visa, can my spouse be on a dependant visa?
    5. Once I complete the educate and graduate, will I get an OPT or an EAD to work in USA?
    6. Lastly, if I finish Masters and then complete PhD then can I petition for a Green Card for myself?

1. Whether I can study while am on a H1B visa?
    >>> Yes. You should be working and getting paid as per your LCA to maintain your H1B status. Your primary responsibility in H1B status is to work for the H1B sponsor and maintain your status. You can study parttime in H1B.

2. Once my H1B Visa gets over can I change the status to F1 which is students visa?
    >>> Yes. Once you are in F1, you cannot work. You should study fulltime.

3 . If I am on a F1 Visa, can my spouse be on a dependant visa?
    >>> Yes. F2 is the dependent visa for F1.

5. Once I complete the educate and graduate, will I get an OPT or an EAD to work in USA?
    >>> You can get an OPT.

6. Lastly, if I finish Masters and then complete PhD then can I petition for a Green Card for myself?
    >>> No. There is a separate section dedicated for GC in immihelp. Read the articles there.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

If I Complete my master's with in mY H1-B Duration, Can I apply for OPT after completeing my H1-B term ?

Comment

Originally posted by harigoli View Post
        If I Complete my master's with in mY H1-B Duration, Can I apply for OPT after completeing my H1-B term ?
        No, OPT is for only F1 students that have been in that status for at least two full semesters or 9 months prior to graduation. The current rules might be similar as well.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X