Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa stamping at Kingston Jamaica

Hello,
    I am an Indian citizen and we have a B1/B2 visa and have been to US multiple times. This is the first time I will be employed in the US and my employer is working on my H1B application. I have been given a choice to go for stamping either to Kingston Jamaica or to India. I am currently employed in Cayman Islands (for more than 5 years) and Kingston is the closest embassy for us.
    When I wrote to Kingston Jamaica they told me that I can submit my application there.
    Can you please help me by clarifying how strict is the rule to go to home country for the first time stamping? Also kindly give me the pros and cons of Kingston vs Chennai.
    Thank you in advance
    Last edited by stkumaran; 06-23-2012, 11:18 PM.

If you are already working there, then you can certainly try to get the visa stamped there. Even if it takes a little long time to verify your academic certificates, it won't harm you as you are a resident there.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you!
      That helps and we will do accordinlgly.
      On another note, I have been offered a permanent job (tenured). Is that an issue for H1B visa and I am asking this because H1B by definition says it is to fill in vacancies temporarily.
      Regards

Comment

H1B indeed is to fill a permanent position. Your employer is doing the right thing. Quit worrying.

Originally posted by stkumaran View Post
        Thank you!
        That helps and we will do accordinlgly.
        On another note, I have been offered a permanent job (tenured). Is that an issue for H1B visa and I am asking this because H1B by definition says it is to fill in vacancies temporarily.
        Regards
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you!
          Your prompt responses were very helpful.
          Now I will stop worrying

Comment

Visa approved

Hi,
            I wanted to update the forum that our H1 and H4 visa applications were approved at Kingston.
            As I had mentioned, we are Indian citizens and out first time H1B stamping. We were worried about first time stamping and not applying at home country as suggested in many forums.
            But our case could have been a little different because we were living in the Caribbean for the last 6 years. I did not have any US degrees and got my degree evaluated by a US credential evaluation company.
            We did not face a lot of questions and it was a straight forward basic questions.
            Just to clarify, I was accepted for a faculty position job in an American University.
            Thank you for those who readily provided opinions which were very useful.
            STK

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X