Can I convert Visitor Visa to H1B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I convert Visitor Visa to H1B?

Is it allowed to convert Visitor Visa to H1B if the applicant has a H1B already?

Possible, but not advisable. There are plenty of posts that explains why it is not advisable. Search and read them.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Pls reply

If anyone knows the answer for this, kindly respond.

Thank you.

Comment

As Shervin already mentioned it is possible but not advisable. Visitor visa has a non immigrant intention wheras H1 has dual intent. The reason it is not advisable is because you are changing your intent after entering US. While applying for a visitor visa you are asked how long will be your trip, ties back to your home country etc which will prompt you to return back, but once in US you want to shift to H1 which is having a purpose of long term stay and possible application of citizenship in the future. The two intentions contradict each other and many Immigration officers see it as malicious and deny the COS from B1 to H1. It is advisable to exit on your visitor visa and re-enter on H1 if that is what you want to do. This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you

Hi Shervin & Raghvi

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Sorry, I did not see Shervin 's response before asking again for someone to respond.

Also, though I have subscribed to the thread, I did not get E-mails when someone has responded. Hence, I have asked for the second time

Regards.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X