Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting H1B and J2 Extension at the same appointment

Hi,

I currently have a J2 visa with an EAD work authorization, that just got renewed. It's good until May 2013. The thing is I haven't renewed my visa stamp yet and plan to do that when I travel to Germany in August 2012.

The thing is, my employer sponsored me a H1B visa, that got approved already, starting November 1st. Now I'm wondering if I can get both stamps, the J2 extension (that I need until November 1st) and the H1B (starting November 1st) at the same appointment at the embassy in Germany in August?

Thanks for any help!

You won't be able to do that. You can have only 1 type of work visa in the passport at any given time. You cannot apply for 2 visas at the same time. If you apply separately, the second time you appear for the visa interview the previous stamped visa will get cancelled as CWOP.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

The thing is I already have a J2 visa, I have a valid DS2019 and a valid EAD until May 2013.
      I know they become invalid as soon as my H1B becomes active November 1st 2012.

It's only the visa stamp that concerns me. I need to go to Germany in August and in order to get back into the States I need the J2 extension stamp. But that also means I need to stay for ~2weeks because the US embassy takes my passport and sends it back in the mail.

I want to go back to Germany for Christmas too, but don't have enough vacation days to stay for another 2 weeks to do the same thing for my H1B that became active November 1st.

That's why it would have been great to get that one too at my August appointment...

Are you sure that there's no chance to do that?

Comment

I am guessing your H1B got approved as a COS from J1. In that case, it is not advisable to leave the country when the H1B is about get effective starting November. If you had to leave, the best option is to return back only after the H1B effective date (Nov) by obtaining a H1B visa.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

As far as I know it's no problem to leave the country when the application is not pending anymore.
          It's approved already...

Do you have different information?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X