X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about H1-B transfer

Hello!
    I have an urgent question.

An employer had put in an application for my H1-B visa this year in April to be in effect from October 1st, 2012. Until now, I was working with that employer on my 17-month OPT STEM extension. But that employer yesterday terminated my employment. That employer told me that they are going to revoke my H1-B visa application.

My 17-month OPT STEM extension is only valid until December 1st, 2012. Now when I find a new job, I will only be able to work with that employer until December 1st, 2012 as my new employer will not be able to file a new H1-B visa application for me as the H1-B visa application quota for this year is already full and the USCIS is no longer accepting any new applications.

So my question to you is that can I request my previous employer not to revoke my current H1-B visa application and he/she decides not to do so so that if that application is approved, my new employer can transfer the H1-B visa from my previous employer?

Also, if the H1-B visa application with my previous employer is approved then can it be transferred it to a new employer even though I did not work with my current employer on that approved H1-B visa and only worked with them on the OPT STEM extension?

An early reply will be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Saurabh

In same boat

I have the same question as Saurabh here. Can the new employer transfer my H1 before Oct 1,2012 (start date of H1) ? Please do reply.

Thanks
    Madhura

Originally posted by saurabh99 View Post
    Hello!
    I have an urgent question.

An employer had put in an application for my H1-B visa this year in April to be in effect from October 1st, 2012. Until now, I was working with that employer on my 17-month OPT STEM extension. But that employer yesterday terminated my employment. That employer told me that they are going to revoke my H1-B visa application.

My 17-month OPT STEM extension is only valid until December 1st, 2012. Now when I find a new job, I will only be able to work with that employer until December 1st, 2012 as my new employer will not be able to file a new H1-B visa application for me as the H1-B visa application quota for this year is already full and the USCIS is no longer accepting any new applications.

So my question to you is that can I request my previous employer not to revoke my current H1-B visa application and he/she decides not to do so so that if that application is approved, my new employer can transfer the H1-B visa from my previous employer?

Also, if the H1-B visa application with my previous employer is approved then can it be transferred it to a new employer even though I did not work with my current employer on that approved H1-B visa and only worked with them on the OPT STEM extension?

An early reply will be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Saurabh

Comment

>>> Possible. You will be able to start working for the new employer only after Oct 1st and only after you have receive the H1B transfer receipt notice from USCIS.

>>> Possible if the transfer is filed before Oct 1st.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Question about H1-B transfer

I had asked my previous employer to not withdraw my H1-B so that I can port it to a new employer. They said that this is not possible unless I am already in H1-B status which will not be happening in my case as my employment with the company is over before the H1-B effective date of October 1st, 2012. Is this true?

But they say that since USCIS had accepted my H1-B application and I have a receipt number for that, a new employer may be able to file a new H1-B petition for me using that receipt number and like this I will not be counted against the cap for H1-B visas. Can this happen? Please let me know ASAP.

This is important for me as the cap for H1-B visas is already over for this year.

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
        >>> Possible. You will be able to start working for the new employer only after Oct 1st and only after you have receive the H1B transfer receipt notice from USCIS.

>>> Possible if the transfer is filed before Oct 1st.
        Last edited by saurabh99; 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

multiple h1b visa transfers

I need your advice on the following.

When I was part of company A, a company B(my preferred company) initiated my H1B visa transfer along with Company C in the month of June, 2012. As I have got RFE and my project was not finalized in Company B (my preferred company) ,I have joined company C temporarily starting 2nd-July-2012 by the time I get project through B and my RFE gets cleared. Now, Company B has got a project for me and got SOW signed for me and as per them, RFE will get clear by Sep-2012. So, I can join Company B from sep-2012.

Now, I would like to join company B as it was my preferred one but I have following questions:

1. Considering the fact that both of the h1b visa transfers were initiated when I was part of Company A, can I join Company B now on the H1b visa transfer initiated before?
          2. Do we need to again do the H1b Visa transfer from Company C to Company B? Even I have worked for two months in company C.
          3. If I just join Company B without any H1b Visa transfer from Company C, I would have a break of two months i.e. from July-02-2012 to sept-2012.Whether this impact my immigration status?
          Also please let me know the detail immigration process which needs to be followed in above scenario.

Comment

I had asked my previous employer to not withdraw my H1-B so that I can port it to a new employer. They said that this is not possible unless I am already in H1-B status which will not be happening in my case as my employment with the company is over before the H1-B effective date of October 1st, 2012. Is this true?
            >>> Not true. If the petition gets approved, the CAP on that petition will remain valid for 6 years and you can ask any U.S employer to file a new petition for you using that CAP. Not required to go through the quota again.

But they say that since USCIS had accepted my H1-B application and I have a receipt number for that, a new employer may be able to file a new H1-B petition for me using that receipt number and like this I will not be counted against the cap for H1-B visas. Can this happen?
            >>> That is not possible. Unless the H1B petition gets approved, you have not secured the CAP and so a transfer is not possible.

Originally posted by saurabh99 View Post

But they say that since USCIS had accepted my H1-B application and I have a receipt number for that, a new employer may be able to file a new H1-B petition for me using that receipt number and like this I will not be counted against the cap for H1-B visas. Can this happen? Please let me know ASAP.

This is important for me as the cap for H1-B visas is already over for this year.

Comment

1. Considering the fact that both of the h1b visa transfers were initiated when I was part of Company A, can I join Company B now on the H1b visa transfer initiated before?
              >>> Yes.

2. Do we need to again do the H1b Visa transfer from Company C to Company B? Even I have worked for two months in company C.
              >>> Not required.

3. If I just join Company B without any H1b Visa transfer from Company C, I would have a break of two months i.e. from July-02-2012 to sept-2012.Whether this impact my immigration status?
              >>> If you have got paid by employer C for that period and if the transfer from A to C is approved, then no issues. If not, it will be an issue.

Also please let me know the detail immigration process which needs to be followed in above scenario.
              >>> If you need details, you need to consult an immigration attorny. There is no time for immigration 101 in a forum.

Originally posted by 123ravi View Post
              I need your advice on the following.

When I was part of company A, a company B(my preferred company) initiated my H1B visa transfer along with Company C in the month of June, 2012. As I have got RFE and my project was not finalized in Company B (my preferred company) ,I have joined company C temporarily starting 2nd-July-2012 by the time I get project through B and my RFE gets cleared. Now, Company B has got a project for me and got SOW signed for me and as per them, RFE will get clear by Sep-2012. So, I can join Company B from sep-2012.

Now, I would like to join company B as it was my preferred one but I have following questions:

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X