H1b Extension and Stamping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b Extension and Stamping question

I have searched for this, but haven't found anything on the lines of my case.
    Background :
    My ex-employer in India got an approved I797(petition) in the last week of November 2010. I appeared for the H1b Interview on 2nd week of Feb 2011 and got a visa stamped till last week of Nov 2013 (my passport expires in Dec 2013). After arriving here in May 2011, I switched employers in Oct 2011 and the new employer filed a new petition which is valid till Nov 2014. I visited India in Dec 2011 and my new I94 is valid till Nov 2014.
    My situation :
    I will be going to India again this November to get married. I do not think I will be continuing with this firm for a long time after coming back in December. This firm is a huge financial name and has some credible status in India and USA. I am a Full time employee working for them, on their products. No client etc business
    My questions :
    Assuming that clearing an H1 interview is getting so tough these days (I wonder why), since am with this big name :

1) Can I go for a stamping when I go to India this year in November ? (So, since a big name is my sponsor, I may get some consideration before being rejected)
    2) If I get rejected in my interview, can I still travel back into US, since the original stamp was valid till Nov 2013 anyway ?
    3) Is it upto me if I want to go for a H1 stamping ?
    3.a) What would the seniors advice I do ?

4) Can someone please tell me how H1 Extension is applicable in my case ? Since I have a new petition with a new expiry date, have I already applied for a H1 Extension ?
    5) What exactly is H1 extension and how does it work if a person is switching jobs before the expiry of the current petition ?

Thank you for answering.

Cheers,
    This is my opinion. Not a legal advice

1) Can I go for a stamping when I go to India this year in November ? (So, since a big name is my sponsor, I may get some consideration before being rejected)
    >>> Yes.

2) If I get rejected in my interview, can I still travel back into US, since the original stamp was valid till Nov 2013 anyway ?
    >>> No. Before the decide whether to issue or reject the new visa, they will cancel the old one.

>>> Advice you to use your own judgement.

4) Can someone please tell me how H1 Extension is applicable in my case ? Since I have a new petition with a new expiry date, have I already applied for a H1 Extension ?
    >>> Yes.

5) What exactly is H1 extension and how does it work if a person is switching jobs before the expiry of the current petition ?
    >>> Transfer will come with an extension of status. Extension is a term used only when the same employer is filing you a petition to extend the status.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      >>> Yes.

>>> No. Before the decide whether to issue or reject the new visa, they will cancel the old one.

>>> Advice you to use your own judgement.

>>> Yes.

>>> Transfer will come with an extension of status. Extension is a term used only when the same employer is filing you a petition to extend the status.
      Thanks for replying, cheers.
      This is my opinion. Not a legal advice

Comment

See below
        Originally posted by happybuddha View Post
        I have searched for this, but haven't found anything on the lines of my case.
        Background :
        My ex-employer in India got an approved I797(petition) in the last week of November 2010. I appeared for the H1b Interview on 2nd week of Feb 2011 and got a visa stamped till last week of Nov 2013 (my passport expires in Dec 2013). After arriving here in May 2011, I switched employers in Oct 2011 and the new employer filed a new petition which is valid till Nov 2014. I visited India in Dec 2011 and my new I94 is valid till Nov 2014.
        My situation :
        I will be going to India again this November to get married. I do not think I will be continuing with this firm for a long time after coming back in December. This firm is a huge financial name and has some credible status in India and USA. I am a Full time employee working for them, on their products. No client etc business
        My questions :
        Assuming that clearing an H1 interview is getting so tough these days (I wonder why), since am with this big name :

Yes

No. It will be canceled.
        Yes. If i were you i wont go to visa until it expires even if i travel to India any number of times. At the POE show them the new 797 and get the i-94 with new h1 expiry.
        The above thing will only work if your first employer didnt cancel ur h1.

Yes. Its a tranfer and extension.
        Use the I-94 that comes with approval of the company that u are currently working

Thank you for answering.

Cheers,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X