Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 visa conversion query

Hi all,

I applied for extension of my H4 visa recently. On contacting the USCIS, I was told that my visa has been approved and the approval notice has been mailed to me. It has been over 30 days since they posted it to me, but I am yet to receive the approval notice. Apparently, I will need to apply for a duplicate of my approval notice as USCIS thinks that my approval notice might have been lost in the mail. Meanwhile, I have been admitted to a university to pursue my masters and was hoping to start studying in F1 visa from fall(sep) 2012. Given the current situation with my H4 visa, will it be possible to apply for my F1 visa without waiting for my approval notice or should I be applying only after I receive my H4 approval notice?

You cannot apply a COS to F1 without a valid I-94 in hand. Get the H4 approval notice which will contain a valid I-94 and then file the COS from H4 to F1.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

You can pursue your studies on H4, right?
      Also, on H4 you will be treated as a resident and will only be paying instate fees as opposed to international fees (for F1).

I want to know what benefits will we have as an F1 as opposed to H4.

Comment

You can pursue your studies on H4, right?
        >>> Yes.

I want to know what benefits will we have as an F1 as opposed to H4.
        >>> You cannot do OPT or CPT while you are in H4. You need to be in F1 to be eligible for them.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X