Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

H1B Stamping in Canada - Missing tax documents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • H1B Stamping in Canada - Missing tax documents


    I am planning to go for my H1B stamping in Canada. I came to the US in 2007 on F1 visa and have filed taxes five times so far(2007-2011). I have 2 questions:

    1. I do not have W2 for the year 2007 and neither do I have the completed tax forms(copy of 1040NR-EZ) for that year. So I contacted IRS to get a Tax Return Receipt. I received the receipt in mail. Though it lists my gross income, taxes withheld etc, it does not mention my employer's name on it. Is it safe for me to show the tax return receipt from IRS in place of my missing W2 and 1040NREZ? Is it going to be a problem because there is no proof for me to show I worked for that particular employer(no employer name or ID on the receipt)?

    2. In 2010, I worked as an independent contractor for company X and also later found a full time job with company Y. I got my H1B sponsored through company Y. When I look at my tax documents for the year 2010, I have W2 from both employers and also the actual tax form(1040NR-EZ) for that year. However I think if I remember right, I also filled 1042-S that year because I worked as an independent contractor that year(got 1099-MISC from the employer). I am NOT able to find my 1042-S now what should I do? Is there a way I can get a copy of 1042-S from IRS? Is the visa officer going to need a copy of my 1042-S?

    I have W2 and copy of 1040NREZ for 2008,2009 and 2011.

    Please advice ASAP.

    Last edited by josephsn; 09-28-2012, 12:14 AM.