Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of information on Immigration Bill

Dear members,
    I have gathered a piece of information from the website "Washingtonpost" which the president mentioned about the Immigration bill to be considered in the first 100 hours of congress. This is during his personal interview in Oval Office.
    Hope this comes true.
    I request the members of this forum to collect and share such information.

Thanks.

This was the procedings of the interview
    .[/COLOR]

[Incoming Speaker of the House] Mrs. Pelosi has identified six or seven things that she wants the House to do in the first 100 hours. Can I just mention -- ask you in a bullet-point way just your point on this?

No. (Laughter.)

Minimum-wage increase -- generally supportive or against it?

Generally supportive. But, no, the answer is no, you can't. (Laughter.)

Look, here's the challenge. The challenge is to find out specifically what they have in mind and to explain to them areas where we can work together and can't work together. I'm pleased with our initial round of discussions. I fully understand that they're going to come out with this -- they made it very clear. And I want to work with them on issues where we can find common ground.

On immigration -- you mentioned immigration. Can you envision supporting a deal --

See, now you're getting me to negotiate with myself --

No, no, no, but this is a policy --

Same thing he's trying to do. (Laughter.) It's a classic ploy. (Laughter.)

This is about your policy, Sir, in terms of can you envision a deal in which you would agree with Democrats that would not necessarily have a majority support among Republicans --

Peter, remember the speech I gave right here in the Oval Office?

I remember several.

The one on immigration. I gave a comprehensive speech to the country from the Oval Office, prime time, about how I thought we ought to move forward on immigration. I still feel very strongly about that. And I hope that Congress will join me on a comprehensive bill, and I would hope that the majority of both parties support it.

[Former House] speaker Hastert had a policy that he would not put forward a bill that didn't have a majority support of his caucus. Is that important to you, having majority support of the Republican caucuses?

I'm interested in getting a comprehensive bill out, because I believe it is vital to solving the pressure we have on our border.

One of the interesting things that, if you notice from the recent enforcement activities that ICE took, there are a lot of people who are using forged documents to do jobs Americans are not doing. And my attitude is that there ought to be a way for people to come to this country on a temporary basis and fill those jobs in an open way, a transparent way, that doesn't cause there to be, one, a smuggling operation that's vibrant and making money, a housing operation that is illegal, and a document forgery operation that clearly is in effect.

There is a better way to treat people, and there's a better way to deal with the issue of finding workers Americans are not doing, to fill on a temporary basis. And, therefore, there need -- and that in itself will take pressure off our border. In other words, if people feel like they can come in on a temporary, legal basis, they're not going to have to sneak in, which in itself does away with -- that in itself does away with this kind of underground industry that has sprung up.

The point I make to you on that is that it's a comprehensive reform of the immigration system that is going to make our borders more secure. I strongly believe that is important, and look forward to working with people on the way forward. It's hard for me to predict the dynamics yet on how the Congress is going to handle the immigration bill. The point I'm telling you is that I think it's vital and necessary, and this is an area where we can work together to get it done.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X